1 piece aluminum driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 piece aluminum driveshaft

ok i got one queston about this... if we have our 2 piece metal driveshaft wiht the universal joint it is there for a reason right? mainly because when u floor it our cars slightly buckle correct? it flexes teh drive shaft. now iwth the 1 piece aluminum one it wouldn't be able to flex liek the universal would hence bending it? or am i jsut terribly worng? either way can soemoen explain wut it does to improve my car?
    Gmoney<br />95 firebird 3.4l engine<br />Alpine speakers and Alpine 300 watt amp, bazooka bass tube<br />custom lights and switchs<br />window tinted<br />flowmaster 80 series exhaust<br />Custom Firebird cutout<br /><a href=\"http://hometown.aol.com/ibinlinkinpark/FirebirdCutout.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://hometown.aol.com/ibinlinkinpark/FirebirdCutout.html</a>

You have lots of drivetrain power loss due to the 2 piece shaft. Our 2 piece weighs I think something like 24 LBS. Its steel and really heavy. If you were to get an aluminum shaft that weighs close to 10 LBS. or so you would lose less power to the rear wheels.

Check the Technical Archive Forum and read the topic Aluminum Driveshaft.

Comment

From what I have read, the 2-piece was an attempt by GM engineers to reduce vibration. MINOR vibrations - the kind any auto enthusiast would not be concerned about. But since they were selling the car to non-enthusiasts as well, some higher ups at GM must have felt they needed to reduce the vibrations to compete with other products. It has nothing to do with body flex as far as I know.

The driveshaft yoke has teeth on it, as does the output shaft on the transmission, and there is probably 2 or more inches of overlap. So the driveshaft can move slightly in or out of the trans to address rear end movement (and possibly body flex).

These same engineers later used a one piece driveshaft in many later model 4th gen f-bodies - from the factory. I suspect at some point performance became more of an issue and someone at GM decided to shell out extra bucks for aluminum one-piece driveshats.

If 1-piece ds was a problem, many of the thousands of 1999 and newer f-body owners would have trouble with the one piece, and some well paid engineers would be on the unemployment line.

The two-piece costs you power because it has extra rotating mass, and because some power is lost in the extra connection. A one-piece steel shaft (also GM factory made) is the cheap way to gain performance (it is lighter and one piece), but the aluminum will give you more performance (even lighter than the steel).
      1995 Camaro M5 3.4 Quasar Blue Metallic with T-tops.<br />K&N, Jet Stage II chip, Z28 exhaust, 1LE aluminum ds. Need more power!<br />Next: Auburn posi<br />1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Street driven. Has low compression 350 Chevy runs 12.81 @ 104, 1.73 60\'

Comment

so, does this mean my 1 peice steel shaft is the middle child?
        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
        94 comero 3.4

Comment

3.4 slow to go:

Yes - for fourth gen. I have never seen or heard of a two piece driveshaft on a first, second or third generation f-body. All the earlier generations had one piece steel, except for some third gens that had aluminum one piece.

For fourth gen, I think one piece steel started showing up on automatics first. According to the technical database (under general), the one piece steel started showing up on automatics in 1998.

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: LTNone ]</p>
          1995 Camaro M5 3.4 Quasar Blue Metallic with T-tops.<br />K&N, Jet Stage II chip, Z28 exhaust, 1LE aluminum ds. Need more power!<br />Next: Auburn posi<br />1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Street driven. Has low compression 350 Chevy runs 12.81 @ 104, 1.73 60\'

Comment

As far as flex, the driveshaft might not flex if going to 1 peice, but your trans mount, engine mounts and rear suspension all still flex. Plus, Most cars have a 1 peice and they work just fine!
            1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
            1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

I have a one pc drv shft. I thought about upgrading to the alum 1le deal. Should shave off about 12lbs or so. Less weight is always a plus on stuff like this. :D
              Thanks, <br />JAM<p>02 Firebird GT

Comment

www.mavness.com/zachds.gif

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: camaro_zach ]</p>

Comment

kinda makes me not want to get am aluminum one now [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: 3.4 slow to go ]</p>
                  1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                  2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                  94 comero 3.4

Comment

for the $, its one of my favorite mods.

it takes less than 1hr. if you already have a 1pc, but if ou have a 2pc, good luck, that last hidden bolt is a PITA!
                    1999 White Ford SVT Lightning.<br /><br />Hoping to dyno @ 450hp/550tq by the end of \'04.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X