1le Aluminum DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1le Aluminum DS

Hi, I have a 98 f-bird a4 y87, and I'm wondering if its worth it for me to upgrade to the 1le aluminum? I belive I have a 1 piece steel right now and I'm not sure if its worth the money to upgrade. Also what type of benefits would I be looking at. And finally what could I get money wise for my old one. Thanks, all opinions welcome.
    98 Silver Firebird a4 Y87 3.42s LSD<br />Mods: Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, SLP Cold Air, K&N Filter, B&M shift+<br />Stereo: 10\" Bazooka Tube with built in amp<br />Best time: 15.425 @ 87.51

If you're currently running a 1pc - you have virtually no reason to upgrade unless you just want to do something else to your car and don't know what to spend some money on [img]smile.gif[/img] . You won't gain anything in speed to speak of by changing to aluminum, but at least the DS won't rust anymore [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

it's my understanding that all V6's come with a 2 piece shaft regardless of the Y87 package or not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that but i'm pretty sure of it....

By switching to a 1pc aluminum shaft, you are cutting down not only on weight, but rotating mass. you should notice a good extra push off the line and your tires should break loose a little easier [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
      1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by C.Palmer:
        it's my understanding that all V6's come with a 2 piece shaft regardless of the Y87 package or not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that but i'm pretty sure of it....<hr></blockquote>

Sorry, you are wrong. Refer to the Technical Database, yearly model changes.
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

So since I do have a one piece being that its a '98 its really not worth the extra $212- what I can sell my old one for?
          98 Silver Firebird a4 Y87 3.42s LSD<br />Mods: Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, SLP Cold Air, K&N Filter, B&M shift+<br />Stereo: 10\" Bazooka Tube with built in amp<br />Best time: 15.425 @ 87.51

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by V6ThirstyBird:
            what I can sell my old one for?<hr></blockquote>

They go for $25 at salvage yards.....
            Kevin
            1998 Black Z28<br />1995 Black 3.4 (@#$$%* ex took it!)<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/nikkev1/lst?.dir=/New+Camaro&.view=t\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.scfyb.com/phpBB2/\" target=\"_blank\">Carolina Board</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>quote:
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally posted by C.Palmer:
              it's my understanding that all V6's come with a 2 piece shaft regardless of the Y87 package or not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that but i'm pretty sure of it....
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, you are wrong. Refer to the Technical Database, yearly model changes
              <hr></blockquote>

so why does my 98 have a two piece????
              <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by WickEdSix9838:

<hr></blockquote>

And mine...

Comment

my 2001 A4 doesn't

its wierd, on some years auto have 1pc, manuals have 2pc.

who cares what years have it though, it will take all of 30 seconds to check yourself.

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: strobhen ]</p>
                  2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Uhh, my manual has a 1pc right? All the new ones come with 1pc right?
                    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

my 99 has a 2 piece
                      91 Eagle Talon Awd Turbo 5 speed FOR SALE 6000$<br />Looking for a Fiero GT<br /><a href=\"http://www.swdsm.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.swdsm.net</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by WickEdSix9838:

<hr></blockquote>

Because only autos got a 1-piece in 98.

Raven

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lord_gufi:
                          my 99 has a 2 piece<hr></blockquote>

Must be an early (look at the door and I'll bet it was produced in late 98) production car, since all 99 were to get a 1-piece.

Raven

Comment

I was thinking of this mod to shave off weight. How much would I loose over stock 1pc?
                            Thanks, <br />JAM<p>02 Firebird GT

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X