Drag Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Gears

I have zero mods on my car and I'm taking it to the 1/4 mile. What would be the best choice for rear end gearing? I have 3.23's and a open rear end now. With an LSD, would 3.73's or 4:11's be the best or would they hurt my times because of top end? How about 3.42's? Help me out here!
    1998 NBM Pontiac Firebird - LS1/T56 Swap | Pro-Kit Springs & Bilstein HD\'s | BMR LCA\'s | LG Adj. PHR | T-top Conversion | <br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/battyv6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/battyv6</a>

I would keep 3.23's untill you get more mods.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pgriffith:
      I would keep 3.23's untill you get more mods.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't go any higher in gears than 3.42s, then add a high stall torque converter, if the 1/4 mile is your main concern.
      <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Alright, thanks guys. I'll stay with the 3.23's. Post times on Monday 21st.
        1998 NBM Pontiac Firebird - LS1/T56 Swap | Pro-Kit Springs & Bilstein HD\'s | BMR LCA\'s | LG Adj. PHR | T-top Conversion | <br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/battyv6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/battyv6</a>

Comment

he's got an m5, no converter for him.

don't listen to these guys [img]tongue.gif[/img] be a man and get some 3.73s...from what i hear, you'll LOVE them with the m5. do a search and you'll see everyone that tried them LOVES them.
          2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

3.73s and an LSD [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I'm lightly modded as per the sig. and love em'. Significantly narrows the gap between us and V8s (LT1's, that is). Only caveat is you probably want to consider the HPPIII so that you can raise the top speed limiter and correct the speedometer/odometer.

No apparent loss of top end, either (with HPPIII). You do get there quicker, though!
            \'01 Camaro M5 1SA \"Lightweight\" hardtop, Bright Red, Ebony cloth, FRA, Whisper Lid, B&B cat-back, Torsen 3.73 LSD, HPPIII (93 octane setting)<p>\'00 Camaro SS M6 T-Top, all GM and most SLP opts., Bright Red, Ebony leather, 4.10s, SLP long tubes, Loudmouth, CNC Stage II H/C, etc.

Comment

it really wouldn't matter about top end, cuz 5th gear is soooo high, even with the HPP3 i top out 4th doin around 135 and can't put it in 5th cuz out motors don't have enough power to pull that high of a gear, but the 3.73 gears would change that and let u use 5th and you would prolly be able to reach higher speeds with the "added" power.

Comment

i absolutely LOVE my 3.73's!!!!!! i wouldnt dare put 3.42's back in...and dont take offense, but it makes me so mad when automatic guys try to say how 3.73's are too much when they dont have an m-5 w/3.73's to know...if you have been reading the posts about the guys who have 3.73's, they all love them, on the highway im at 2600-2700 @70mph, the car accelerates better through every gear but the speed limiter is dropped down to 98 but you wont go that fast through the quarter unless your sprayin, and im not so...if i could do it all over again, i would probably put the gears/LSD first, the combination of gears/LSD picked me up anywhere from .4-.5 in the quarter from better traction and the extra acceleration...

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: WickEdSix9838 ]</p>
                <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

because u have a 5 speed tranny, u can get away w/ using 3.73's and not lose much top-end. if u had an auto, like me, u'd lose a bit too much top-end. if u get bigger gears, get a HPP3 to recalibrate everything. before u get gears and lsd, get some intake mods such as a whisper lid, K&N filter, and FTRA, and a mandrel bent exhaust. then u'll need lsd to keep traction and u might as well put in 3.73's while ur mechanic is putting in the lsd.
                  2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X