T5 - 5th Gear Whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T5 - 5th Gear Whine

In my current car, a 2002 Camaro, I have had some serious highspeed cruising transmission whine coming through the shifter. This occured before and after I changed my fluid to Valvoline Durablend ATF, since the vehicle was new, around 70-75mph (~2100RPM), and has been just as prominent with both shift knobs and both shifters I've used (stock, SS knob, stock shifter, B&M Ripper).

I've currently got 8000 miles on this car, over half of which were spent between 70-90mph down I-10 to California and back, and I have had no mechanical problems with this tranny but the whine bothers me.

Has anyone here had this overdrive cruising light throttle whine? If I get down on the throttle the whine goes away, or if I downshift it also goes away, but its pretty annoying right now since I haven't a working stereo atm [img]smile.gif[/img] (amp died).

I think I will speak to GM about this and find out what they think - just thought I'd ask you guys with more experience...
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

mine does the same thing and has since ive had it...
    <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Mine does it too.
      97 Silver Bird<br />3.8 M5 Bone Stock Engine<br />15.528 @ 88.96 bone stock<br /><a href=\"http://www.fbodyenhancements.com/\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyenhancements.com/</a>

Comment

Well thats good to know that its not just my 2002 - thanks for that information.

I might try running a ever so slightly thicker gear lube in my trans to see if I can make it go away - but I'll try that out later on around 30K.
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X