OK MORE QUESTIONS ON GEARS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK MORE QUESTIONS ON GEARS!

I am looking at gears....i asked a mechanic...They said the carriers differ between a my 1996 3.08 carrier "series 2 supposedly" and any other gears...so I would have to replace the whole carrier!?!:!?!!? HOW DO U CHANGE GEARS?! This is driving me insain!!
    My 1996 Camaro RS <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangkiller311\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/mustangkiller311</a> \"Its out-dated\"<br />Mods=SLP CAI, 3.42/LSD, 180*, BMR StrutBrace,SLP Take-Off Shocks/Springs, Z28Swaybar, DynomaxSuperTurbo,3in pipes,Catco3in,3in Cutout ThrottleBody Spacer, SolidDriveShaft,NGKplugs, Taylor8mmWires,ZR1 rims, RS Spoiler,WhiteFacedGuages.<br />Stereo= Pioneer DEH-P8400MP, Custom Subthump enclosure, 2 BlouPunkt 12\'s, JL 500/1, Fosgate speakers, 1FaradCap.<p>NEW 1997 FireBird Formula WS6

3.23 and up is 3 series carrier
    3.08 and down is 2 series carrier
    <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Allright...so I need to get a new carrier???
      My 1996 Camaro RS <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangkiller311\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/mustangkiller311</a> \"Its out-dated\"<br />Mods=SLP CAI, 3.42/LSD, 180*, BMR StrutBrace,SLP Take-Off Shocks/Springs, Z28Swaybar, DynomaxSuperTurbo,3in pipes,Catco3in,3in Cutout ThrottleBody Spacer, SolidDriveShaft,NGKplugs, Taylor8mmWires,ZR1 rims, RS Spoiler,WhiteFacedGuages.<br />Stereo= Pioneer DEH-P8400MP, Custom Subthump enclosure, 2 BlouPunkt 12\'s, JL 500/1, Fosgate speakers, 1FaradCap.<p>NEW 1997 FireBird Formula WS6

Comment

just find the gears you want with 2 series carrier. Aftermarket gears come in 2 or 3 series carrier.

Comment

I'm gettin my car back probably tomorrow with new 3.73 gears put in. I ended up getting a series 3 carrier - the company messed up on the shipment of the gears and I went ballistic at them so they sent me a series 3 carrier with installation kit for 100 bucks with free overnight shipping. Can't beat that [img]smile.gif[/img] Man it'll be an iiiinnnsaaane change from 3.08 gears!

Comment

i didn't read anything else, just the topic...so i don't know if your question has been answered.

series is only a size measurement. if you go from 3.08s, you'll want to put an lsd in there anyways, and the most common lsd is a 3 series. so, if you go with gears any higher than 3.08, they are probably 3 series as well. carrier just means the differential--whether it is open or not.
            2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

What company did u get 3.42's from that fit the series 2 carrier???

Comment

Summit hs most series 2 and 3 carrier , i bet any compay that sells gears will have both2 and 3 series carrier. Pgriffith is correct they even make a 2 series 3.73 gears [img]smile.gif[/img]
                Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X