ANALYSES OF LAMINATED COMPOSITE, HOLLOW DRIVE SHAFTS - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANALYSES OF LAMINATED COMPOSITE, HOLLOW DRIVE SHAFTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANALYSES OF LAMINATED COMPOSITE, HOLLOW DRIVE SHAFTS

http://newfirstsearch.oclc.org/WebZ/...agename=record [img]tongue.gif[/img] agetype=print:entityprinting=true:entitycurrecno=3 0:sessionid=sp03sw03-57401-d6zsmnmj-74abrm:entitypagenum=43:0

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>
    Title: ANALYSES OF LAMINATED COMPOSITE, HOLLOW DRIVE SHAFTS
    Author(s): KIM, CHUN-DO
    Degree: PH.D.
    Year: 1993
    Pages: 00208
    Institution: THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA; 0169
    Advisor: Major Professor: CHARLES W. BERT
    Source: DAI, 54, no. 11B, (1993): 5902

Abstract:
    Cylinders laminated of advanced-fiber-reinforced composite materials, with polymer matrices, are widely used as structural components in the aerospace industry. Because of the high modulus, high strength, and low density of such materials, a significant weight saving can be realized. Thus, by appropriate design of the layup configuration, desirable performance can be obtained. For example, the use of composite cylindrical tubes would permit the use of longer drive shafts than is possible with conventional (aluminum alloy or steel) shafts designed to carry the same horsepower and weight per unit length.

In this study, theoretical analyses are presented for determining the critical speed, buckling torque, and dynamic instability regions of a circular cylindrical hollow drive shaft with layers of arbitrarily laminated composite materials by means of various shell theories. The theory used is the dynamic analog of the Sanders best first approximation shell theory. By means of tracers, the analysis can be reduced to that of various simpler shell theories, i.e., Love's first approximation, Loo's, Morley's, and Donnell's shell theories, also, to that of the more precise, but complicated Flugge's shell theory.

Also, a simplified theory for predicting the first-order critical speed of a shear deformable, composite material drive shaft is presented. The shaft is modeled as a rotating anisotropic Bresse-Timoshenko beam generalized to include bending-twisting coupling.

Also, a simple procedure to achieve an optimal design, considering critical speed, buckling, and material failure, is described and illustrated for a specific example. In order to consider the requirements for strength, the first-ply-failure criterion is applied by considering the effects of both driving torque and unbalance force due to mass eccentricity.
    <hr></blockquote>

Sounds like what nova was talking about with carbon fiber driveshafts and stuff. Just thought this was nice info.
    ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

does it scare anybody else that i actually understand what that guy was talking about?
    Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Comment

No, because I do to. Previously a mech. engineer with good a background [img]smile.gif[/img]
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Wow! Somebody actually paid attention to something I said. :D [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Its as I said though, one of the main advantages of CF over standard materials is that it can flex a great deal more without breaking. Its impact resistance is, however, less that desireable.

I'm currently attempting to design and produce some Carbon Fiber body panels for F-Bodies and in my design investigations have learned that I will have to build them with a thin layer of fiberglass over the outside to keep the panels from cracking and shattering under impact. Otherwise one rock is kicked up while driving and that means a whole new body panel.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X