Gear Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Install

I have the open rear with 3.08 i have just got my lsd with 3.73's today with reluctor ring i want to do the install myself but i need a guide or somthing to tell me how to do this please help me thanks for all your replys.

I know DOM has a little install guide on his site but i dont remember his page....someone does right???
    <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

well i have started my gear instal and everything has gone smoothly until the right axle had to be puled out i went to loosen the lugnut on the tire and it was striped so i was like **** WHAT NOW so i have to get forerest tire to come to my house and get the striped lugnut off unless anyone can tell me how to do this

Comment

Originally posted by dukedusterwrx: <blockquote>quote:</font><hr> well i have started my gear instal and everything has gone smoothly until the right axle had to be puled out i went to loosen the lugnut on the tire and it was striped so i was like **** WHAT NOW so i have to get forerest tire to come to my house and get the striped lugnut off unless anyone can tell me how to do this <hr></blockquote>

Get a nut cracker. Go to your local auto places and see if they have one. Vice grips could work as well. I'd have to see how your wheel is though.

I have a story. I was trying to take a nut off of my leaky header collector flanges. The nut wouldn't come off. The guy who put it on put it on crooked or something. Anyway, I got it down to one spot and it just wouldn't budge. What I eventually did was get the biggest socket wrench I had, meaning longest handle, and used that thing. I kept cranking on it and cranking on it, it made this loud sound like a boat or something, my friend heard it from inside his house. After a few minutes of yanking on it I made a final pull and broke the nut in half. Pretty crazy huh.
        1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

dang that blows!!!!! :eek:

Comment

well i have everything almost halfyway and i need to take the pinion gear out and replace it i need some help i would like to know what i can use to keep the gear from spinning while i loosen the nut please help
            thanks

Comment

I put an adjustable on the u joint. I put a big breaker on the nut.. I turn the nut until the U is pressign the adjustable against the ground.. then I just used all my body weight on the breaker to break the nut.
              Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

Hey thanks it worked now if i could get some instructions on taking the bearing off the pin ion for reuse

Comment

To get the bearing off you can take it to a machine shop that has the right tools to press it off, or try what I do (assuming the rearend is like any GM 10-bolt):

Put the pinion gear in a vice - I usually secure it on the shaft in the lower part of the vice designed to hold round things. I then use a chisel and hammer between the bearing and the gear. You will have to be careful not to ruin the old pinion gear. Once it starts to move you will probably bottom out the chisel. I would use successively wider chisels to get the bearing off the gear. During removal you will inevitably destroy the shim between the bearing and the pinion gear. This process has also been hard on the chisels, because they are softer metal than either the pinion gear or the bearing.

Now, you can't just install the bearing on the new pinion gear if you expect the gears to mesh properly. You have to measure pinion depth. If you have aftermarket gears, the pinion depth should be marked on the pinion gear.

Pinion depth is the distance between the top of the pinion gear and the center of the ring gear. I get that by setting the bearing in the race, putting the pinion gear in backwards (with the flat part resting on the bearing, and assuming rear end is out of car). Now measure from the flat surface (where the bearing is supposed to go to the center of the ring gear. I find the center of the ring gear by putting something staight (like a good pushrod) across the surfaces where the caps for the carrier housing go. I use an inside micrometer to measure the distance.

When you measure the acutal depth and compare it to the depth marked on the new pinion, you will know how thick a shim you need.

If you want to avoid a chance at howling rear end you will also need shims to set the backlash between the ring gear and the pinion gear. A new crush sleeve would also be helpful.

I have done at least half a dozens rear end set ups this way and have not had a problem. I have not done a fourth gen f-body rear end yet, but if it is a 10-bolt, I bet it is the same. If not I am sure I will hear about it from the other members of this message board.
                  1995 Camaro M5 3.4 Quasar Blue Metallic with T-tops.<br />K&N, Jet Stage II chip, Z28 exhaust, 1LE aluminum ds. Need more power!<br />Next: Auburn posi<br />1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Street driven. Has low compression 350 Chevy runs 12.81 @ 104, 1.73 60\'

Comment

i used and impact!!!!! :D
                    <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

hey i need slome help i would like to know what part number the pinion bearing is THAnKS

Comment

never mind now i need know if i need a new crush collar

Comment

Yes you need a new crush sleeve.

*experimental*

[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: navyblue2000 ]</p>
                          2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

I know DOM has a little install guide on his site but i dont remember his page....someone does right???
                            2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

IM DONE IM DONE IM DONE YEAH YEAH FINNALY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
                              they feel pretty awesome but ther is some howling when i let off the gas and other than that they are nice i just cant wait till they break in so i can really test them out THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X