Transmission Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Removal

Has anyone removed the transmission from their 3.8L car? I want to fix my main seal and was wondering how hard it is since I have never done any Trans work before. Any insite would be appreciated.

JR
    1996 Camaro 3.8<br />Edelbrock Exhaust, SLP Intake, Bosch, Platinum +4 Plugs, Accel Wires, SLP fan switch<p>\"Let the good times roll\"

The hard part it getting the car high enough.

Comment

Well if I get it up on the jackstands I have i should be fine but after looking at it, I'm wondering how to get at the bolt on the top. I know it's possible since I had my clucth replaced. I dont think a torque wrench will fit up there.

JR
      1996 Camaro 3.8<br />Edelbrock Exhaust, SLP Intake, Bosch, Platinum +4 Plugs, Accel Wires, SLP fan switch<p>\"Let the good times roll\"

Comment

Shoot for 2 and half feet of clearance from the bottom of the car to the floor.

Comment

I've removed and replaced my transmission 3 times, all while the car was no more than a foot and a half high. I would suggest that you acquire a transmission jack, it's a huge help. Another thing that you'll definately need is a couple long extensions if you're using hand tools. I used a total of 22" of extensions for the top two bolts on the bellhousing. If you need any more help, let me know.
          -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 96BeastV6:
            I've removed and replaced my transmission 3 times, all while the car was no more than a foot and a half high. I would suggest that you acquire a transmission jack, it's a huge help. Another thing that you'll definately need is a couple long extensions if you're using hand tools. I used a total of 22" of extensions for the top two bolts on the bellhousing. If you need any more help, let me know.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, you used a transmission jack. I tried using a regular one with a transmission jack conversion on top of it.

Comment

Thanks guys for your help. I have a friend who is going to let me use a Transmission jack for when we do it. Thanks again

JR

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X