Why would the P1870 code slow the car down? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would the P1870 code slow the car down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would the P1870 code slow the car down?

I tried to search for this, but couldn't find an answer. A while ago my car threw a p1870 code and I found it with my HP Tuners software (SES never came on). When I first started racing my camaro i was running in the 16.5 range and after reading some posts, I've heard that this code cause poor acceleration. My question is this: why would a slipping torque converter clutch slow a car down in the 1/4 mile. I am jsut trying to understand thsi so any imput is apprectiated. I'm fixing it either way but I also am curious if this is goign to make me quicker too.
    97 RS,3.73 LSD,Flowmaster,Shift Kit,Edge TC,HP Tuners,EWP,SLP CAI,160*,Touchscreen monitor,& Alpine Stereo(155.2dB)15.27 N/A 1.9X 60\'s and a magic switch.

well, if anything is slipping.... that means the power isnt going through fully. kinda like a bad clutch... it all works together to allow the power to transfer through the transmission fully, if its slipping then it isnt going from point A to point B thouroughly.

Comment

P1870 does the following (among other things): disables 4th gear and commands maximum line pressure in the tranny.

Disregarding any actual slipping going on, the high line pressure may result in a firmer, quicker shift (from my understanding of auto transmissions, at least. I'm lacking in this area ;) ). However, you'll be limited to 3rd gear.
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
        P1870 does the following (among other things): disables 4th gear and commands maximum line pressure in the tranny.

Disregarding any actual slipping going on, the high line pressure may result in a firmer, quicker shift (from my understanding of auto transmissions, at least. I'm lacking in this area ;) ). However, you'll be limited to 3rd gear.
        and if it's ignored for too long it can also cost your entire transmission...

That one costed me a $1,200 rebiuld...
        1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Yea, my p1870 code was cool on the shifts... chirp 1-2... but I did have 4th gear..... Also happened at 20K miles.
          I was at college when it happened in MA. I took it to the dealership, they told me it wasnt anything to worry about it, they changed the fluid, and cleared the code. So i drove for like a week and it all started again.. I made weekly trips to Autozone to clear the code and about 6 months later I made it home to VA.... didnt even go home, went straight to the chevy dealership that I trust, where i bought my car, they checked it out, an hour later they came to me with a set of keys to a used camaro, told me to come back in a week while they put a NEW transmission in the car. They said they found metal in the pan, and some pieces the size of figernail clippings. Thank god for warrantys....

With that... dont go too long before you get it checked, fixed or replaced... No warranty??? better save up or get a loan! And i wouldnt reccomend racing it......

Comment

yeah i realize its a bad code...I took it to a trany shop and they said that it should be fine, but im still fixing it. I just didn't understand how the torque converter clutch slows down your acceleration at WOT. I thought they were pretty much disengaged then, but thanks....also i have 4th gear and never had an SES from it.
            97 RS,3.73 LSD,Flowmaster,Shift Kit,Edge TC,HP Tuners,EWP,SLP CAI,160*,Touchscreen monitor,& Alpine Stereo(155.2dB)15.27 N/A 1.9X 60\'s and a magic switch.

Comment

Originally posted by wishigotan8:
              never had an SES from it.
              You had DTC P1870 and never got an SES light?
              Matt
              1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
              Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X