This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Driveshaft

I have a 98 Camaro. I am currently using the stock 2 piece driveshaft with all the mods listed below. I am running a 75 wet shot. Should I upgrade to a 1 piece driveshaft? How long you think mine will last? I dont want it to break and end up stranded. Help please?

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</p>

In 1999 GM started installing one-piece steel DS on automatics ONLY. See the Technical Database, General. All other cars have the two-piece DS.

Get a 1LE one-piece aluminum DS.

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: FirebirdGT ]</p>
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

What do the two piece look like? How can I tell if its a two piece? I know your right I just would like to know how to tell.
      White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bu-bye:
        What do the two piece look like? How can I tell if its a two piece? I know your right I just would like to know how to tell.<hr></blockquote>

Two short DS, connected together. Center bearing is attached to the Torque Arm.

Raven

Comment

can i change my two peice to a one peice.
          would it be stronger. and wiser for my automatic 96

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bubba:
            can i change my two peice to a one peice.
            would it be stronger. and wiser for my automatic 96
            <hr></blockquote>

Yes, the 1LE one-piece aluminum DS will fit any year, manual or auto.

Raven

Comment

So ??? Do you think im ok? Or should I swapp it out?

Comment

I'd order an aluminum one just for the sake of it. I definately can say that you do not have an aluminum driveshaft, but IF you order one, you no longer have to worry about a 2 piece one, AND you're freeing up some Rear Wheel Horse Power... which is always lovely [img]graemlins/evilgrin.gif[/img]
                <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

really? More power to the ground?? That sounds wonderfull. Can anybody tell me if you have done this and if you have or have not noticed a difference on power to the wheels? I think im gonna do it just wondering what I should expect.

Comment

how does that actually give you more power to the ground that you will actually notice other than having a some what lighter piece on the car? Is there really that huge of a difference on a aluminum ds to a 2 piece iron one?

Comment

If they made a driveshaft out of lead, you'd have a slower 1/4 mile time than if you used an aluminum one. (I know they don't make lead ds's it's just something to think about).

Same thing with lighter rims/wheels... lighter weight means less rotating mass. Less rotating mass means quicker et's. There is a formula or math equation explaining this. I don't know it's exact words but I know other people on here should have it.

I read somewhere that going from the 2 piece to aluminum driveshaft gives you something like 7 rear wheel horsepower. Even if it dosen't I'd still rather have an aluminum one than that two piece one. Do a search for aluminum driveshaft on this site... I know this was a topic a few months ago.

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Liquid Silver ]</p>
                      <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X