ARE PEOPLE HERE GETTING CONVERTERS TO BIG FOR THEIR CARS?IS 3400+ TO MUCH4 V6? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARE PEOPLE HERE GETTING CONVERTERS TO BIG FOR THEIR CARS?IS 3400+ TO MUCH4 V6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARE PEOPLE HERE GETTING CONVERTERS TO BIG FOR THEIR CARS?IS 3400+ TO MUCH4 V6?

I want to have a civil discussion i am being sincere not a smarta**. Ok they say you want a converter that stalls 500-700 rpm below your engines peak torque, most people here probably peak tq at 3500 rpm give or take. So that would mean the ideal converter would be 2800-3000 stall, they say if you get a converter thats to big you will lose et drstically, here is what pi says.

"If you over estimate the torque output you will have a converter with a stall speed too low, making your car slow off the line and have slow ET. A properly selected stall speed will give you better launch and better ET."

So the guys who get 3400 stalls and higher, are these converters to big, because if you have 3400 that means your peak tq should be 3900-4100. Would these guys get quicker et with a smaller converter? With the supersix powerpack and a big comp cam is it possible that your peak tq would move up to 4000+? I know its hard to estimate peak tq but with all the boltons and the powerpack and such what would you guess the peak tq would move up to? I dont want to spend 600.00+ then dyno and see i got the wrong converter. I would like to hear everyones opinion on this

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: SLOWBRAEATER ]</p>
    Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

i always thought that 3400+ was too big, but that is just my honest opinion, but to each his own. i have seen no track times to back this up so i am just basing this on my own personal opinion. this is just my $.02. i would also like to hear everyone elses opinion.
    <b>2000 Firebird </b><br /><i>old setup </i>- Automatic Whisper lid, Borla catback, shift kit w/ V8 servo, 3.42 gears w/ LSD, PI 3000 converter, <br /><br /><i>14.703@90.92, 2.01 60\' </i>(intake and exhaust)<br /><br /><i> new setup </i> swapped over to LS1 413.9rwhp/398.7rwtq<br /><a href=\"http://www.thunderracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.thunderracing.com</a>

Comment

i guess we will see..and the truth is everyone on here is to afraid to push the envelope and try a big converter..i have a 3500 on the way. we will see what the results are from the converter but i can almost gaurentee this thing is going to be awesome..

Comment

I currently have a 3000 and i am upgradeing to a 3600 very soon mine is for nitrous i buil plenty of tourqe and i am also getting a heads cam package within weeks. SO i guess it really depends on what u have done or what u are doing to your car. On my 3000 stall i can cut a 1.86 60 foot.
        <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>i guess we will see..and the truth is everyone on here is to afraid to push the envelope and try a big converter <hr></blockquote>

ya, i think i'm getting the biggest verter so far--my converter is going to be 3600 stall--should be on this weekend. i don't really care what people say about "too high" and "being afraid to go too high" because i go by what experts tell me. for instance, PI IS correct for saying that the ideal converter stall is 500-700 rpms below peak tq. btw, our peak torque is at 4000 rpms STOCK, not 3500 rpms. depending on what you do to your car as far as mods go, the 4000 can go either way.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>i always thought that 3400+ was too big, but that is just my honest opinion, but to each his own. <hr></blockquote>

sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about. firstly, stall speed almost means squat when getting a torque converter--it's all about multiplication factor (str) and efficiency more so. if your str is too low, your launches are going to suck, but if it is too high, your launches are going to insane and your top end will suffer. if you efficiency is low, your tranny is going to have some slippage--result is loss of top end mph in the 1/4. i've talked to experts on the torque converter matter and i have come to the conclusion that with stock internals and a DAILY DRIVER car, that 3600 stall is going to be perfect. i would not recommend going over 3800 stall for two reasons: you're pushing your peak tq too much and might lose power and over 3800 is not going to be very streetable.

if my car were an all out drag car, i would have gotten the 3800 stall with a 2.65 str and a 96% efficiency--BUT my car is a daily driver IN a big city and 3800 stall might be too much for me and am also not sure if that is getting a little too close to the peak tq--which is why i think 3600 is ideal.

you can call me brave, stupid, or just "wanting attention" for being the first to go this high on a torque converter--but the reason i went this high is not because i'm trying to be brave, stupid, or earn "mr. highest stall" (as scott puts it) but rather, get the most out of my money and my car. i've researched how torque converters work for long enough and i think i've made the best decsision. i DO NOT listen to what other people on this board say obviously because SO many people say that "over 3000 stall is WAY too much." i listen to people that actually do this for a living and know what is the best. don't get me wrong, there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on this board that know a lot about a lot, and i choose to listen to those guys, but as for the rest of the people--i just talk with experts before i believe anyone else's opinion.

what i'm trying to say is, just because people "say" 3400+ is too high, don't listen. go do some researching yourself, email me, or email andre and www.edgeracingconverters.com and talk to him about it. i'm sure our cars would be a lot faster if some of us actually took initiative and did our own thing rather than listen to what the everyone does and only reaching those limits. that is dumb. sorry, no offense to anyone on this board, i just am tired of people always assuming that "3400+ is too high because johnpetersucksmyballz02v6a4 says so" or that "212/218 is way too radical a cam" or that "3.73s are going to cause excess wear on the engine" that's horse **** read stuff on your own and learn about your own engine before you decide to modify--that's my advice. if you are doing something because joebob tells you to, then you aren't learning a thing about it.
          2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

i agree w/ Only4U. it's important to do your research on this matter, and if you do, you will find out that a stall of 3400+ is not too high for our cars. to the contrary. i have a 3500 stall and have seen INSANE results! (Yank is very helpful over the phone in helping decide on the best stall speed, and describing the differences therein). though i have no times yet, there was a VERY noticable difference in launches. i don't know what my concession on top end speed was, but for racing stop light to stop light, this was the best mod. the car is a daily driver, and of course, you do have to factor in drivability and your current/future mod setup. as for my setup, the car is COMPLETELY drivable w/o any problems. hope this helps some.
            neil O.

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Blk Bird ]</p>
            1999 Pontiac Firebird W68 Ram Air<br />3800 Series II V6 A4<p>Appearance: <br />Black, Ram Air Hood, Ground Effects, T-Tops, Silver Decals by Firebat, <br />Stock 16\" Chrome 5-Star Wheels, Chrome WS6 Dual Exhaust Tips<p>Performance:<br />Yank Super Thruster 3500 Torque Converter, 3.42 gears w/ OEM Zexel Torsen LSD, Jet Stage II chip, 180* Thermostat, B&M Transmission Cooler, Whisper Lid, K&N, Free Ram Air, 1/2\" Raised Airbox, Custom 2.5\" Catback Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler, Nitto 555R Drag Radials (back), Goodyear Eagle GSC 245/50ZR16 (front)

Comment

how much you paid for the TC, and how much for installation ??
              2003 Mustang Mach 1 5 Speed<br />288 rwhp SAE 315 rwtq SAE<br />BFG DR\'s, SLP Loudmouth Catback, K&N CAI<br />60\': 2.145<br />13.41@105.67MPH (Stock)<br />--- Best et ----<br />60: 1.932<br />1/4:12.851@106.39MPH <br />best mph: 107.65

Comment

the torque converter i got is one of the best that this guy makes. a lot of people say "no, don't cheap out on torque converters--you pay for what you get." while i agree completely with this statement, i do believe that if one knows more about torque converters than anything, then i would trust his torque converter...this that case. as a matter of a fact, i will quote something from his website:

"I was always told growing up "You get what you pay for". This has never been truer then with a torque converter. Some racers will spend thousands on the drive train, only to lose 30% of that hard earned power in a cheaply designed torque converter.

An inefficiently stalled torque converter builds unwanted transmission heat and never gets close to coupling one -to- one (pump to turbine)."

there you have it--straight from the genious himself.

i am installing the converter myself along with a couple other guys that i am buying dinner for.

you should buy a tranny cooler with it, and also new fluid and a tranny filter would be a good idea. all in all, project will cost me around $500-$550.

Comment

if you're not installing yourself, the tc cost me 600, and the install 400... this is fairly standard from what i've heard around the board
                  1999 Pontiac Firebird W68 Ram Air<br />3800 Series II V6 A4<p>Appearance: <br />Black, Ram Air Hood, Ground Effects, T-Tops, Silver Decals by Firebat, <br />Stock 16\" Chrome 5-Star Wheels, Chrome WS6 Dual Exhaust Tips<p>Performance:<br />Yank Super Thruster 3500 Torque Converter, 3.42 gears w/ OEM Zexel Torsen LSD, Jet Stage II chip, 180* Thermostat, B&M Transmission Cooler, Whisper Lid, K&N, Free Ram Air, 1/2\" Raised Airbox, Custom 2.5\" Catback Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler, Nitto 555R Drag Radials (back), Goodyear Eagle GSC 245/50ZR16 (front)

Comment

Honestly I don't know what level is too much.
                    I spent some time and looked at what I need for my car and its power ranges.
                    As it is it is very torquey w/o the converter.
                    Mine is a pro yank nitrous converter
                    3200 stall n/a
                    3600 stall nitrous
                    2.8 str, aka torque multiplication factor
                    95.5 to 96% effeciency

We need people to push the envelope.
                    Only4u, I wish you the best. If no one ever pushed the envelope we would not go faster, learn more and have fun.
                    Back in the day I was told never go over 100 hp with nitrous, I did it and was one of the first couple v6 f body's to run 12's

All I can say is we shall see
                    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Only4u, I wish you the best. If no one ever pushed the envelope we would not go faster, learn more and have fun.
                      <hr></blockquote>

thx james :D i guess if nothing else, at least i will get noticed for "pushing the envelope" :D

Comment

I know yank wont custom build a stall for our v6 but will pi make me a converter that stallas lets say 3400-3500 n/a and about 3800-3900 on the juice? I believe the statement that for the best results you want a converter that stalls 500-700 rpm below peak tq n/a but does this apply to nitrous also? would you get better results if your converter stalled 500-700 below peak tq on the nitrous? wait , when you hit the nitrous does your peak tq also go up, like say i peak tq at 4000 rpm n/a would i peak torque higher on nitrous? so a converter that stalls 3500 n/a is 500 rpm below peak tq which is perfect. then i hit the nitrous would my peak tq be like this ok the converter stalls 4000 rpm and the peak tq rises to 4500 give or take on the juice? please tell me if i have this correct. Ok with all the boltons minus supercharger and turbo, plus having supersix powerpack with comp nitrous cam what would my peak tq be??, ballpark guesses please?, Is it a fact our peak tq stock is 4000 rpm? With the powerpack does that lower your peak tq or make the peak tq go higher up in rpm? tom at supersix sent me a desktop dyno saying with .500 220/224 114 ls comp cam my pk tq would be 3500 rpm. But in a reply above someone states our stock pk tq is 4000 does adding supersix powerpack make the pk tq go dow to 3500 from 4000 or would it go higher? What would cause pk tq to go lower? Sorry for so many questions but this is all great info. thanks
                        Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blk Bird:
                          it's important to do your research on this matter<hr></blockquote>

And don't forget.. since it's written on the internet, it *has to be true* ;-P

btw, don't knock over the steaming bucket of sarcasm on your way out.

2000 Magnetic Red II Automatic Coupe
                          Best(s): Coming soon
                          99 Bright Red Turbo Firebird A4 T-Tops
                          Best(s): N20 - 14.01 @ 97.32 (1.64) Turbo - Coming soon

Comment

SLOWBRAEATER = Moron

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH ON **** THAT YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT

Comment

whoa, somebody need nappy time.
                              what's with the yelling? i for one am learning stuff from this thread... as are other i'm sure. can't always find what you are looking for... there have to be some new up to date posts from new 'experts' like Only4U and slacker69 for example.

have you got anything to add to this thread that will help us learn?? if so, please post it.
                              1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X