BOO 3.42 gears!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOO 3.42 gears!

k, heres the story. i dropped my car off thurs, they said the install on the gears 'n the LSD would take 1 day... i just picked it up today :( next, the SLP speedo recalibrator doesn't work, 'n now my speedo doesn't work at all. so, i have to call SLP up tomorrow 'n see what thats about. also, a bit of noise every now 'n then from the rear, but most importantly, no real difference in ANYTHING. the people who installed said they install 5-6 rearends a day, so they should konw what they're doing... but afterall it did take them 4 days to finally "get it right". finally... i tried to spin the tires to make sure the LSD at least works, but not only could i not spin both tires, but i couldn't spin either tire!!! i know i have to call SLP about the speedo, but any other suggestions as to what might be wrong??? THANKS!!!

neil O.
    1999 Pontiac Firebird W68 Ram Air<br />3800 Series II V6 A4<p>Appearance: <br />Black, Ram Air Hood, Ground Effects, T-Tops, Silver Decals by Firebat, <br />Stock 16\" Chrome 5-Star Wheels, Chrome WS6 Dual Exhaust Tips<p>Performance:<br />Yank Super Thruster 3500 Torque Converter, 3.42 gears w/ OEM Zexel Torsen LSD, Jet Stage II chip, 180* Thermostat, B&M Transmission Cooler, Whisper Lid, K&N, Free Ram Air, 1/2\" Raised Airbox, Custom 2.5\" Catback Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler, Nitto 555R Drag Radials (back), Goodyear Eagle GSC 245/50ZR16 (front)

I would say that the reason that you couldn't spin the tires is because the LSD is working and transfering the power to both wheels instead of all the power to 1 wheel
    1996 Silver Camaro, Y87, M5, cammed..<br />N/A Best Time: 14.012 @ 98.59<br />195 rwhp / 233 ft-lbs b/f heads/cam<br />Check out my site <a href=\"http://silver3800.cz28.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://silver3800.cz28.com/</a>

Comment

did you set the SLP calibrator yourself?or did you just wire it up? cuz when you get it you have to change the switches to match your change...
      <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Disregard what he said bud, you have a huge converter so spinning tires, even both should be no problem at all, something is definately wrong, with my lsd rearend i could sit there all day and smoke the tires hen i had a 2800 stall.
        Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

Comment

the guy who installed it hard wired the calibrator into the wire harness, followed the instructions, and still no deal...
          1999 Pontiac Firebird W68 Ram Air<br />3800 Series II V6 A4<p>Appearance: <br />Black, Ram Air Hood, Ground Effects, T-Tops, Silver Decals by Firebat, <br />Stock 16\" Chrome 5-Star Wheels, Chrome WS6 Dual Exhaust Tips<p>Performance:<br />Yank Super Thruster 3500 Torque Converter, 3.42 gears w/ OEM Zexel Torsen LSD, Jet Stage II chip, 180* Thermostat, B&M Transmission Cooler, Whisper Lid, K&N, Free Ram Air, 1/2\" Raised Airbox, Custom 2.5\" Catback Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler, Nitto 555R Drag Radials (back), Goodyear Eagle GSC 245/50ZR16 (front)

Comment

as for the lack of any sort of difference in feel/drivability/performance, is it just me? i thought that even w/ a high stall tc, i would still notice a huge difference in going from an open rear w/ 3.08s to 3.42s w/ LSD... someone please help... if the gears are in fact installed correctly, did i just blow $1000 on a worthless mod??? i know in theory this should not be true, but i'm pretty frustrated rt now... thanks!

neil O.

Comment

i didn't notice my change from 3.08s to 3.42s until i raced another 3.08s car. to make sure you got the gears you wanted and you didn't get screwed over--go take a drive in your mom's car for about 5 miles out then 5 miles back in, then get in your car and make the same exact drive. if your speedo reads 11 miles at the end of the 10 that your mom's car showed, then you have 3.42s because the odo is always 10% off with 3.42s (from 3.08s). if the number is higher (highly doubtful) the gears will be bigger; if the number is lower than 11, you got screwed.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>but not only could i not spin both tires, but i couldn't spin either tire!!
              <hr></blockquote>

so how the hell are you driving your car if you can't make both tires spin? do you live on a freaking hill and push your car down to get it going? i don't get it...

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Only4U ]</p>
              2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

I dont' have 3.42's so I can't answer your question, but I have one for you. Did you notice a big difference adding the converter first to a 3.08 open rear end? Was it still driveable in the street? Did you race before and after that?

thanks...

I hope this is just a mistake, because i want to add gears, and from everything i've heard, it should be sotp difference that you're not seeing.
                :(
                1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

ahh... w/ the open 3.08s i could always make 1 tire spin while brake torquing. w/ LSD, i should be able to lay down 2 tire marks as both tires should spin while brake torquing. however, neither tire will lay down rubber, not even the 1 that used to w/ this setup... something is wrong.
                  as for the tc, yeah, huge difference over stock. no times though, sorry.

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Blk Bird ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blk Bird:
                    they said the install on the gears 'n the LSD would take 1 day...

the people who installed said they install 5-6 rearends a day, so they should konw what they're doing... but afterall it did take them 4 days to finally "get it right".neil O.
                    <hr></blockquote>

How can they install 5 to 6 rear ends a day yet tell you it will take a full day for yours? Do they have 20 people doing installs?

Personally I'd take it to another shop and have it looked at.
                    94 Quasar Blue Z28<br /><a href=\"http://www.9t4z28.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.9t4z28.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.9t4z28.com/Dyno1.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.9t4z28.com/Dyno1.htm</a>

Comment

Bld Brd:

You will notice the 3.42 difference, when you stop looking for it. Trust me on this one, I went through the same thing. This is what the gear guy told me that installed 3.42s in my car. You will notice the difference, once you resume your normal driving pattern, depending on how long you've had the high stall converter. The reason I'm throwing the converter in is because if you did the mods too close, you won't be fully accustomed to how the car drove with 3.08s and the looseness of the high-stall converter to notice a difference. Stop watching it.

It's like love. You'll never find it if you're lookin' for it. :D

Don't ask me where that came from. Have fun driving. :D
                      <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>It's like love. You'll never find it if you're lookin' for it. <hr></blockquote>

very good point. also very true.
                        2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Wow...after all the hype i've been hearing for 2 years on going up to 3.42's, i guess i exptected gains you could feel even if you were looking for them.

Perhaps getting the converter first is the way to go [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ravenp:
                            Wow...after all the hype i've been hearing for 2 years on going up to 3.42's, i guess i exptected gains you could feel even if you were looking for them.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm not saying that they are a bad mod. I read somewhere that you want numerically higher gears for the converter though.

They are noticeable. Don't let us scare you off.
                            <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ravenp:

<hr></blockquote>

Get some 3.73's they'll throw you back into your seat ;) :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X