rear end noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end noises

i installed a SLP takeoff LSD on my car about 8 months ago and its worked perfectly..recently but has prolly always been like this the rear seems to be making some noise.. just leaving a stop light like normal it has no problems.. say im doing 30 MPH and let off the gas totally...then i hit the gas again i hear a thumping noise in the rear ..sounds almost like metal on metal..its not terribly loud and im the only one that notices it really..

is any play in the meshing of the gears normal?

the 2 shims on the outside of actual lSD are different sizes..im wondering if i have the wider one on the right side so the gears are wider apart, when the thicker shim needs to be on the left so the gears are closer together

it only does this like from a roll, not from a stop.. im only worried about it cause im putting a converter in on thursday and dont want problems

there should not be any noises coming from the rear hypothetically. it does happen, but it should not. if i were you, i would get that looked at by a pro (or yourself) before long because any noise in the rear end area means wear and tear to the gears because metal is touching metal. the longer you let it go, the worse the noise and the wearing will get. i can't hear the problem, so i can't tell you how bad it is, but you know your own car. if you got the shims wrong, you either have too much backlash or not enough backlash--probably too much which is why the gears are touching each other too much, thus resulting in noise.
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

btw, the "proper" way to fix your problem or install a diff is to get a dial indicator and make sure the backlash between the ring and pinion is between .008 and .010 -- just to let you know whenever you plan on looking at it...anything tighter (meaning less than .008) could result in wear and noise and also, anything wider (greater than .010) is going to be the same.

here is another reference
      2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X