Why wont driveshaft fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why wont driveshaft fit?

I bought a 1pc alloy driveshaft from a 99 Z28 w/a manual tranny. I went to have it put into my 1997 auto 3.8l camaro and the the dealer went to put it in and said it didnt fit? Why is this I though auto and manual driveshaft are the same length? Any help with this?
    Thanks
    Edelbrock Exhaust System<br />SLP Air Temp Module<br />K&N Filter<br />Lingenfelter Cold Air Induction<br />B&M Shift+<br />3.42 Motive Gears<br />Zexel-Torsen Limited Slip Diff.<br />Texas Speed Retuned PCM<br />180 Degree Thermostat

your dealership is a moron. it will fit unless it came out of something other than a 3rd or 4th gen fbody.
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

ds could be messed up it could have bent splines and not slide on the tranny i had that prob. :D
      1998 Jet Black Trans-am M6 T-tops<br />\"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find: knock and it shall be opened unto you:-Matthew 7:7<br />Old car<br /><a href=\"http://matthew27529.tripod.com/getsome\" target=\"_blank\">http://matthew27529.tripod.com/getsome</a><br />NEW CAR<br /><a href=\"http://garnerebel.tripod.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://garnerebel.tripod.com/</a>

Comment

i had a 95 TA steel DS and the only thing had held me up for like 10 min was the dam donut weight on the steel DS. I was hitting a bracket thats for the tranny.So w/ a dremel i shaved the corner of the bracket away to accomidate the DS. But i have the 1LE DS in now. Yeah the dealer had to of be morons they prolly tried putting it in the wrong way [img]smile.gif[/img]
        2000 Black T/A M6 343rwhp 349rwtq<br />11.94 @ 118 60\'1.79 Stock Internal<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/demonicbird00\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/demonicbird00</a> <br />AIM: W68Firebird97<br />R.I.P... Christine 12/25/02 <br />1997 Firebird W68 Black<br />14.887 @ 90.08

Comment

They probable think only 2 piece driveshafts fit on v6ts.

tell them to take the one off and put this one on.

Comment

I will take it somewhere else and have them put it on. The driveshaft is in perfect condition so it is definately not that. They actually took me in the garage and got me under the car and he held up the new ds and said it is about 4 inches too short. To me it honestly did not seem short, but the mechanic said it was so I took his word for it. He didnt even take the 2 piece out he just held the other one close to the 2 piece. I will measure it tomorrow morning and get back to you guys and make sure it is not too short.
            Thanks
            Edelbrock Exhaust System<br />SLP Air Temp Module<br />K&N Filter<br />Lingenfelter Cold Air Induction<br />B&M Shift+<br />3.42 Motive Gears<br />Zexel-Torsen Limited Slip Diff.<br />Texas Speed Retuned PCM<br />180 Degree Thermostat

Comment

Here's an idea for you,

PUT IT IN YOURSELF!

Don't pay someone money to do something that you could do very easily. It's a like a half hour install for first-timers. At least consider it.

Jeez, don't be so lazy :rolleyes:
              - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

It took me a little more than a half hour to get that dam center joint support off with my 3" pipes in the way.

I have a tapping now, gotta get rid of that
                1996 Silver Camaro, Y87, M5, cammed..<br />N/A Best Time: 14.012 @ 98.59<br />195 rwhp / 233 ft-lbs b/f heads/cam<br />Check out my site <a href=\"http://silver3800.cz28.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://silver3800.cz28.com/</a>

Comment

I have a question becuase somthing is making a hell of a lot of noise comming from my DS... I think it might be where the two pieces are connected. But my question is A one piece DS will fit with no mod's? And a 3rd gen camaro DS will fit in our 4th gen v6's. If That's true those things are like a dime a dozen out at pick a part.
                  Thanks-
                  1997 red 3.8 M5-Daily Driver<br />I/E, Magnaflow cat... <br /><br />1990 Talon TSI AWD-Weekend Warrier<br />Forged internals, Front Mount, SS valves, crower springs, -still under construction. Best stock E.T. 14.3@92--&gt;missing 4th doh!!

Comment

I know the ds from the autos are interchangeable, standards night be also. maybe the two caint be mixed
                    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                    94 comero 3.4

Comment

they are all the same.

82-02 all work. some are diff sizes and such like diameter, but they all are interchangeable. maybe the ds is messed up, otherwise, get under your car and do it again, it will work.

Comment

umm i could be wrong but i dought it though lol

the rear end has to be loaded. i bet when he showed you the car was on a 4 point lift and the rearend was hanging there.

Comment

I picked up a 1pc. DS from an 86 auto camaro with a 305. Didn't even have to open my tool box it was laying on the ground next to the car. Fit perfectly with absolutly no problems. Plus it was a hell of a lot lighter. :D

5.00$-to get in junkyard
                          19.41$-for the Drive shaft

Hillside pick-a-part in Ontario, CA...

It took about 30 mins. All I had to do was disconnect my "U" joint from the rear end and pull my DS out of the tranny.

The centerbearing bracket that bolts to the tork arm on my stock DS was broken, so my DS was basically hanging there.

Too many burnouts maybe :D
                          1997 red 3.8 M5-Daily Driver<br />I/E, Magnaflow cat... <br /><br />1990 Talon TSI AWD-Weekend Warrier<br />Forged internals, Front Mount, SS valves, crower springs, -still under construction. Best stock E.T. 14.3@92--&gt;missing 4th doh!!

Comment

My driveshaft is approx 42" from torque arm to torque arm (I think that is what they are called, not good at this stuff) and approx 47" end to end. Is this the right one? They told me it is out of a manual 99 camaro w/ 3.42 gearing.
                            Thanks

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>they are all the same.

82-02 all work. some are diff sizes and such like diameter, but they all are interchangeable. maybe the ds is messed up, otherwise, get under your car and do it again, it will work.
                              <hr></blockquote>

come on dude, read the freaking post.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X