yank converters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yank converters

they specialize in verters for the lt1 and ls1, however they make them for the 4l60e trannys. my questions are:

if i get a 9.5" yank stealth thruster 2800 torque converter for 4L60E transmissions, will it work?

if i get a 9.5" yank stealth thruster 2800 torque converter for 4L60E transmissions, will my stall be exactly 2800 or more (because yank specializes in v8s) or less (because yank specializes in v8s)?

thanks a lot guys.

EDIT: also, i have no idea about the str or the efficiency of these things. what is a good effieciency and str for the kind of mods i've got?

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Only4U ]</p>
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Your stall will be less. It's about the horsepower you're making.
    <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

do a search....theres tons of info

the V8 bellhousing is different size than ours

STR it torwue mulipication factor and effiency deals with how much top end you will lose..the highter the efficiency the better the top end

Comment

it is 9.5" for sure. it is made for 4l60e for sure. it will work.

i searched and someone that had a yank 2800 stall said themselves that it stalled at 3300+.

i'm assuming it isn't all about horsepower and that i should expect at the very least 3000 rpms stall.

bad assumption?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Only4U:
          it is 9.5" for sure. it is made for 4l60e for sure. it will work.

bad assumption?
          <hr></blockquote>

Very!

You MUST make sure it is designed for the V6 transmission, and not just a 9.5" for the 4L60E trans. As Jeff pointed out, the V8 bellhousing is larger, and trust me, i know from experience. Don't take Yank's word either. I bought an ST3500 from an LS1Tech.com member, and before i did, i talked to Yank and they TOLD ME TWO TIMES it would fit. But when it was time to go on, it didn't fit, because the input shaft to the bellhousing was too large. I had a pretty good laugh about this with other board members, after the week i was totally pissed off that is. ;)

Please, PLEASE don't make my mistake. You will be owned by Jeff later on [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Scott

Comment

hmmm, that is strange. well then how in god's name do i find out if it will really fit in my transmission or not?

Comment

when a torque converter is made, it's stall is determined by how much torque it takes to get it to transfer power. a converter desgined to stall at 3000 for an ls1 will stall higher for our v6 cuz we don't make the same amount of torque down low that the ls1's make. more torque=lower stall, less torque=higher stall.
              2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>when a torque converter is made, it's stall is determined by how much torque it takes to get it to transfer power. a converter desgined to stall at 3000 for an ls1 will stall higher for our v6 cuz we don't make the same amount of torque down low that the ls1's make. more torque=lower stall, less torque=higher stall. <hr></blockquote>

awesome, that is half of what i needed to know!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Arctc Wolf:
                  when a torque converter is made, it's stall is determined by how much torque it takes to get it to transfer power. a converter desgined to stall at 3000 for an ls1 will stall higher for our v6 cuz we don't make the same amount of torque down low that the ls1's make. more torque=lower stall, less torque=higher stall.<hr></blockquote>

this i believe is WRONG.we make less torque so why would the converter stall higher? ever wonder why converters taht are used for nitrous stall higher with the juice..more torque makes them stall higher.. if you get a LS1 ST3500 (discontinued BTW) and some how get it to fit ;) you will be lucky of it stalls above 3000 on a v6. When i wanted a 3500 from Yank they said if i wanted the 3500 Stall in a v6 i needed to get the ST3800 or 4000 then the loss of stall RPM due to torque amount would compensate and i would still be close to 3500

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: NBMA4V6 ]</p>

Comment

Jeff is completely right. Even about the dang fitting issue. :mad: lol

Scott

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Scott Black:
                      Jeff is completely right. Even about the dang fitting issue. :mad: lol

Scott
                      <hr></blockquote>

Let's think about a torque converter for a second. It is a fluid coupling. The more torque you apply, the more you can get the input to spin relative to the output. Basically, if you apply a lot of torque you can get the input to spin up before the output gets a chance to spin. Think about the stock converter on your car. At idle you are at low rpm... you push the gas a little and the rpms go up a bit before you move. More gas and it goes up higher. With increasing throttle comes increasing torque, and increased stall, up until the rated number.

If the opposite was true, then the converter would be at rated stall at idle, and when you applied more torque, the rpms would drop. Since this doesn't make any sense, we see that the input torque is inversely proportional to the stall speed. (Also the torque converter would not be able to serve it's function as the "clutch" in the automatic if this were the case)
                      Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

I run a pro yank 3200 stall converter (nitrous converter).
                        It was made for my birdie.
                        On the bottle it stalls to 3600.
                        N/A I dyno 218 rwtq on the new motor.
                        nitroused back in 00 I put down 362 rwtq
                        Stall rating is per your torque numbers.
                        Torque converters are by far the most understood part in modified cars.
                        My torque multiplication is 2.8.
                        My effeciency is 97% at 6200 rpm's but I can only hit 5800 so it is around 95.5% - 96%.
                        High effeciency's give better mph's.
                        High torque multiplications give better off the line umph.
                        At idle, with my line locks locked I can stall the engine to about 2900 rpm's, almost 3000.
                        Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                        nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                        2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                        2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X