M5 Tranny... Problem? Or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 Tranny... Problem? Or Not?

When I am standing, in neutral, and try to throw it into reverse, there is a grinding noise. Since I have posted this before, many members of this great site told me not to worry, that it was since there is no synchro on reverse gear on the M5, and to throw it into a different gear first, then into reverse. This worked and still works. However, I have finally took the time to read Haynes Automotive Repair Manual for our great cars with greater care, and found the following paragraph: "To check "clutch spin-down time," run the engine at normal idle speed with the transmission in Neutral (clutch pedal up-engaged). Disengage the clutch (pedal down), wait several seconds and shift the transmission into Reverse. No grinding noise should be heard. A grinding noise would most likely indicate a problem in the pressure plate or the clutch disc." Since my car does grind, does it mean it has a problem, or does it simply mean that the automative book was referring to solely the six speed transmissions? Please respond. I am young, just recently got my car, and am incredibly paranoid about every little thing which seems like a possible problem. Thanks in advance!

BTW... I have finally installed the Hurst Shifter along with the shorter stick... Remarkable improvement! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    1996 Camaro<br />Nothing special really done yet!

Many transmissions have a protector plate for the reverse gears (think japanese, euro) and when you shift into reverse it either will or wont go in - and when it goes in it does so smoothly.

Our T5s are rough, tough, and not as elegant as that. They're tough when treated right but they have their moments. Even running synthetic fluid my brand new one makes noise, it whines, it whistles, and it really adds character to the car to say the least [img]smile.gif[/img] . Reverse is a character to itself.

I guess to answer your question - I believe Haynes means no matter WHAT you do you cannot shift into reverse if you try it several times without putting it into 1st. They're talking about extreme cases; yours is not extreme and you have nothing to worry about if all other gears engage normally and smoothly. With the clutch engaged (depressed) in 1st gear you should be able to freely roll forward/backward - if thats the case you have nothing to worry about in that region of the transmission :D

Because we don't have a protector plate on reverse, you will ALWAYS get that grinding noise when shifting into reverse if you don't stop the syncro's by shifting into a forward gear. I normally use 5th since it is on the same gearshaft as reverse, but I hear 1st might work too. 5th seems more reliable for me, I never grind reverse anymore.

Do not be worried, its perfectly normal - and we've all done it about a few thousand times and hated ourselves for it... Nothing you can do though but shift into 5th. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

THANKS A LOT DOMINIC... Your post made me feel a whole lot better! [img]smile.gif[/img]
      1996 Camaro<br />Nothing special really done yet!

Comment

Like my daddy told me about shooting a gun, "you gotta squeeze the trigger, its like a nipple son, squeeze dont pull" What im saying, or trying to say, is that you gotta give it some love for it to go in smooth, put the shifter into position, then apply light pressure, let the clutch out just a tad, and it will go in smooth, it just slides in. haha, that reminds me about another conversation with my daddy, soemthing about birds and bees or something.....

Cp

Comment

i *ALWAYS* shift mine into 5th before reversel. mine will makin a grinding noise EVERYTIME if i dont.

Comment

I also thought something was wrong with my tranny when I first got my car 2yrs ago. Called the dealer and they said to shift into 3rd and then reverse. That seems to take care of the grinding. [img]smile.gif[/img]
            1997 Red M5 3.8, 3.23 Gears<br /><b>Performance Mods:</b><br />SLP CAI, RKSport Headers, 3\" Catco Cat, 3\" Cut-Out, SLP S-Pipe, 3\"I-Pipe & over-axle (Custom from shop), Hooker Headers Muffler, Hooker Header Tips.<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/redrider45\" target=\"_blank\"><b>My Ride</b></a>

Comment

same habit for me is to shift 5th to reverse usualy does it but if not i shift to first then second and then reverse works like a charn every time

sept on the occasions that it wont go into first or reverse then i just hit second and np
              91 Eagle Talon Awd Turbo 5 speed FOR SALE 6000$<br />Looking for a Fiero GT<br /><a href=\"http://www.swdsm.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.swdsm.net</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hou-tex-six:
                Like my daddy told me about shooting a gun, "you gotta squeeze the trigger, its like a nipple son, squeeze dont pull" What im saying, or trying to say, is that you gotta give it some love for it to go in smooth, put the shifter into position, then apply light pressure, let the clutch out just a tad, and it will go in smooth, it just slides in. haha, that reminds me about another conversation with my daddy, soemthing about birds and bees or something.....

Cp
                <hr></blockquote>

YOU SICKO!!! im ashamed that i even know you.. [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] wtf are you talkin about..nipples? guns? this is a car board, go to the fetish board and post that mess :D

Comment

completely normal. 1st-R if you must but 5th-R, 3rd-R.... it's all the same i guess.
                  1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by camaro_zach:
                    i *ALWAYS* shift mine into 5th before reversel. mine will makin a grinding noise EVERYTIME if i dont.<hr></blockquote>

That's cause you ran the damn thing 500 miles without fluid!!! :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X