tranny problem, funny noise, please help - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tranny problem, funny noise, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny problem, funny noise, please help

my tranny works fine, as far as i can tell. the problem i'm having is, when i downshift and let out on the clutch, there's a loud whining noise, syncronous with the engine speed. it sounds like a set of worn brake pads, metal on metal. i have NO idea what it could be. the tranny was just installed about 1000 miles ago, along with a brand new clutch. it just started making the noise not too long ago, maybe a week, but it seems to be getting worse. it also seems to be louder in wet conditions, during rain and whatnot. but, i'm not too sure about it. it's only when i downshift and let out on the clutch, and the engine drag is slowing the car down. as soon as i give it any gas, it stops. if anyone has any idea what it could be, or how i could find out, please feel free. thanks
    1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

When you say the tranny was installed 1000 miles ago, do you mean another used trans or a new trans? If it was used, I would first get under there and check the fluid level. Also make sure that the correct fluid was used in it (I believe it's dextron III Auto Trans Fluid).

I have two service manuals for my 1996 camaro, and the diagnosis for a noisy manual trans states:
    1- low lubricant level or incorrect lubricant.
    2- loose clutch housing-to-engine, or transmission-to-clutch, housing bolts.
    3- misaligned clutch housing bore to crankshaft pilot.
    4- worn or damaged control, tranmission gear, or bearing components.

Hopefully this helps. If you want me to look anything else up for you, let me know.

-Marc
    sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X