Paging Stephan: quick question about your transmision... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paging Stephan: quick question about your transmision...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paging Stephan: quick question about your transmision...

I m just wondering if your transmission is stock or rebuilt to stock specs. I guess this goes to anyone putting power behind a t5 on a 3.8L.

If so how is it holding up, woudl you say you are rough on it at the track or take it easy. Someone was asking about supercharging a 3.8L so I linked them to your webpage, and I always thought you had an auto for some reason.

Just wondering, I have had some troubles with my T5 on my 3.4L and been looking for a new car, and a pristine 3.8L 5-speed with 20k on the clock, can be mine if I take over the payments, but with my current T5 problems I am not looking foreward to the same problems all over again. But I am still more interested in a lt1 6-speed.

My T5 is completely stock. I have had one problem in the past but it seemed to go away by itself after a few months. About two years ago whenever I went to WOT in first gear something (sounded like the transmission) would grind. If I shifted into second fast enough it would grind for a moment in second too, then it would go away. It might have been the clutch (also stock, with 90k miles, holding up fine--don't ask me why) but I'm not sure. The problem went away by itself after about three months and now it's fine at WOT any time. Got me.

I've read the specs, the T5 is not supposed to be all that strong of a transmission... but I haven't had any major problems and I haven't heard of anyone with a power adder having problems either. One guy e-mailed me a few years back with a picture of his maimed T5 but he only had a few bolt-ons and he was running low 15's. I think his blew due to a workmanship defect rather than excessive torque.

If the day ever comes when I blow out my tranny, I will replace it with this:

http://www.salleechevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56.html

Originally designed for the Viper, it will hold up to 500 ft-lbs or more as opposed to the 275 ft-lb rating that our T5 has. It would be kinda cool to be the first 6-speed V6 F-Body. ;) :D

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stefan:
      whenever I went to WOT in first gear something (sounded like the transmission) would grind. If I shifted into second fast enough it would grind for a moment in second too, then it would go away. <hr></blockquote>

Holy schnikeys. That's ex-ACT-ly what's been happening to my car since i replaced the stock shifter w/ the Hurst/Lou's combo. And it too has gone away a little over time (about a week now). I still get it once in awhile. Nutty.

Edit: C'mon Stefan, you've got the power. At least fix the topic so you're name's spelled right. ;)

[ March 27, 2003: Message edited by: Dewey ]</p>

Comment

LOL I used to butcher James Montigny's name back in the day, not that many really remember him.

As for a T56 swap I really researched it awhile back was too rich for my blood. But alright I guess you reassured me somewhat. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I was under the impression that the T-56 wouldn't work on our cars.
          ---<br />-\'95 3.4L M5 Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X