rear end whining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end whining

ok.... i had a whining noise that reminded me of a tractor reading down a hill where the momentum wanted to move it faster than what the gearing in the transmission would allow it. it only happened while i was putting power to the rear end.... when i let off the gas it would stop. my rear end fuid was good (checked that first cause it sounded like it was from the rear end), but i found that my rear seal in the tranny was leaking... where the driveshaft went in. i was down 2-3 quarts of tranny fluid, so i replaced the seal, the tranny filter, cleaned the pan out (no metal pieces) and replaced all the fluid. when i was under the car and spun the d/s, i thought i could hear a quieter version of this noise at the front of the d/s. well, with this done it is slightly quieter, and now ive got my ses light on. about a month ago, before the whining noise i got a code and reset the computer and it went away. what should my next plan of attack be and any thoughts on if these two things are related?
    \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Ok, I think I am having the same kind of problem, except I havent checked anything. My car sounds like a plane taking off when im driving it, im thinking it has to be coming from the differential, it is definitley coming from the back somewhere. It would probably be a good idea to check it I guess.

Alex
    1996 Camaro RS A4<br />Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler with 2.5\" catback and cutout, SLP CAI, BMR STB

Comment

Since the noise changes with the amount of power you put down, that leads me to believe that it is the gears. The transmission will always make a slight noise as you are turning the driveshaft but this is hardly noticeable from the inside of the car. Do you have stock gears and the stock diff in the car? If not, the way the gears were shimmed could reflect the amount of whine. Is the whine more of a deep whistle, metal shreeking whine, or like fingernails on a chalkboard? Have you ever noticed any fluid leaking around the pumpkin area?
      98 Z/28- Cran Metalic w/ silver flames<br />Lots of Mods!<br /><a href=\"http://www.htownracing.com/gallery/albums/album02/07120030_G.sized.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My 1998 Chevy Camaro Z28</a>

Comment

ok, i just got back from getting my car scenned and another stop at a tranny shop. the ses code is unrelated.... the inside of my cat is falling apart... time for a better high flow. anyway, i was told by a good mechanic (not the pep boy guys) that hes 90% sure its the bearings in my rear end. Now, since im a 97 w/ drums (theyre painted & look as good as drums get, but theyre still drums) and open differential, ive located and got a rear end out of a 96 T/A on the way.

my new question is this. it has 3.23 gears and im running an automatic. the guy at the shop wants 3 C-notes to change the gears for me, and i supply the gears and install kit. now, i wanted 3.42's and would swap my pcm for a y87 so shift points match up. for 300 i think i can learn to install the gears myself. any suggestions on the price or difficulty of the install. i know ive seen some instructions floating around online but i do want to make sure they are right. secondly.... as for the gearing, to spent 200 on gears + whatever i decide on the install, should i bother w/ 3.42's and a y-87 pcm or should i consider 3.73's and another route to make my computer work. whats the cheapest i can expect to get away with to correct my original pcm... who HAS actually done this with a 97/97 pcm and what results have you had.... most searches i pulled up regarding this are speculative.
        any suggestions are appreciated.
        thanks.
        \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          2 days ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X