Yank TC... suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yank TC... suggestions?

i was talking w/ a salesman at Yank, and he recommended either the Super Yank 3200, or the Stealth 3200 for my '99 V6... he said the stealth wouldn't be noticable by the dealer, but the super would be more noticable in performance off the line, but would be more hesitant on the highway and would throw off the SES more often, whereas the stealth wouldn't set off the SES at all... anyone have one? which would you all recommend? i'm a daily driver looking for top performance w/ drivability...thanks in advance!
    Neil O.
    p.s. i'm looking to get a B&B triflow catback soon and 3.42 gears eventually... not sure if that makes much of a difference in choosing a TC
    1999 Pontiac Firebird W68 Ram Air<br />3800 Series II V6 A4<p>Appearance: <br />Black, Ram Air Hood, Ground Effects, T-Tops, Silver Decals by Firebat, <br />Stock 16\" Chrome 5-Star Wheels, Chrome WS6 Dual Exhaust Tips<p>Performance:<br />Yank Super Thruster 3500 Torque Converter, 3.42 gears w/ OEM Zexel Torsen LSD, Jet Stage II chip, 180* Thermostat, B&M Transmission Cooler, Whisper Lid, K&N, Free Ram Air, 1/2\" Raised Airbox, Custom 2.5\" Catback Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler, Nitto 555R Drag Radials (back), Goodyear Eagle GSC 245/50ZR16 (front)

ttt
    1999 Pontiac Firebird W68 Ram Air<br />3800 Series II V6 A4<p>Appearance: <br />Black, Ram Air Hood, Ground Effects, T-Tops, Silver Decals by Firebat, <br />Stock 16\" Chrome 5-Star Wheels, Chrome WS6 Dual Exhaust Tips<p>Performance:<br />Yank Super Thruster 3500 Torque Converter, 3.42 gears w/ OEM Zexel Torsen LSD, Jet Stage II chip, 180* Thermostat, B&M Transmission Cooler, Whisper Lid, K&N, Free Ram Air, 1/2\" Raised Airbox, Custom 2.5\" Catback Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler, Nitto 555R Drag Radials (back), Goodyear Eagle GSC 245/50ZR16 (front)

Comment

Isn't the stealth 12" converter? That's the same size as a stock V8 converter, but V6 converter might be smaller, like 9.5". So if that's all correct then the stealth might slow you down.

Comment

ttt

Comment

I don't know what this guy meant by "wouldn't be noticable by the dealer", but a 3200 stall converter is going to be noticable by anyone driving the car! 3200 stall is not very streetable for most of our applications. I had a 2400 stall in my '96 Firebird and I couldn't imagine going any higher! :eek: I would recommend staying within 2400 - 2800 on the stall.
          Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jason McCallister:
            but a 3200 stall converter is going to be noticable by anyone driving the car! <hr></blockquote>

Not to mention that Yank's Converter's Are Bright Orange and anyone that takes the rock gaurd off the bottom of the bellhousing will notice it.

Actually though, I have a Yank 3000 stall and I think that it is very streetable.
            -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

Ok IM sort of new here with all of the transmition mod and stuff like that. I have a 97 bird with the y87 and w68 packages, and slp cai and dynomax superturbo catback system, a b&M electronic shift kit, that Im going to change to a transgo shift kit next time i change my tranny fluid. But maybe its just me but my car seems to have "shift lag", sometimes, it just feels like it doesn't seem to put all the power to the pavement, then when it shifts to 2nd it really will throw you back. I was wondering if that was my torque converter going bad, or what. It does it with or with out the shift kit on. I guess my other question is that if I get a new torque converter how much? are they hard to put in your self? if not how much would my mechanic charge? what kind to get? I want it street driveable, but if im gonna replace it I'm thinkin I want something that has more performace in it.

I know its a lot of ?, but you guys kick a$$ any replys will help me out a lot

Thanks
              Brian
              1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

I have a friend who recently installed a Yank (note that he has an ls1) and had a hell of a time with it. Though I don't know the full details, it caused significant problems w/his tranny that had to be fixed out of warranty. He tried to work things out w/Yank, but their customer service seemed a little less than amiable on the situation. Just my .2
                --chris--

Comment

first of all yank has INCREDIBLE customer service they help me out a ton and i am a pita with questions :D well they accidentally sent me an lt1 converter which was massive and i called mike and carrie at yank and they paid 2 have the lt1 converter picked up and they also paid the 100.00 1st day air shipping to send the correct one to me. now tell me if any of these other vendors would do that? i found out first hand that a certain vendor that sells the triflow wont do that, i ordered the camaro one and got the firebird one and i had 2 pay the shipping to get the correct one.

Comment

I agree that Yank has great Costomer Service. That being said I will answer some questions.

Getting a TC is an expensive mod. The converter will run you around $500. Installation is possible shade tree, but you better know what you are doing because you have to pull the transmission. To have a shop do it will run you at least another $500. So be sure you want to do it before you get it done. There are a lot of other mods you should do first as well, so look into those before you shell out $1,000 for a TC.

[img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
                    -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X