speed shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed shifter

alright, I've seen these speed shifter on an older chevelle and I think they're the best things ever. The ones I'm talking about are like automatic transmissions but you have the gear selector and its like a handle. all you do is pull down the handle to switch gears. no clutch or anything. I was wondering what all is involved in one of those. and I guess if its even possible in my car. pros and cons would be MUCH help too guys. Thanks

Wouldn't make much of a difference in a computer-controlled trans, unless you have a manual valve body & have to change gears manually. Best thing for an A4 car is probably a converter, shift kit, tranny cooler, & possibly a Vette servo. The shifter would be mostly for looks.
    2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

You mean like a Triptronic transmission?

Matt
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

fin- could you tell me what each of those would do to my car?

98Camaro3.8- I have no clue what you're talking about. I've been trying to find a picture or something, some sort of description but have been comming up short.
        what about a slap shift?

[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: MrCoffee ]</p>

Comment

sounds like your talking about about an auto with a manual valve body,or possably hurst lightning rods
          Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Torque converter multiplies torque at a given rpm. Shift kit works to make the tranny shift quicker & harder, tranny cooler is used to keep the tranny cool so it doesn't heat up & therefore allow the fluid & components to break down, & the Vette servo firms up the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts.
            2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

I am pretty sure it was either a hurst or b&m shift kit just added to the stock trans. All I know it that this kit rocks. On his you have to move the shifter to the left a bit then move it up to go from 1st to 2nd. It stops there, so you cant get too excited and go all the way up. Then you have to repeat to keep moving up through the gears. Its impossable to miss a gear or switch on accident becase of the way the thing is setup. I think its great, and I'd like to look into them, but I have no clue where to look. I cant find them on the B&M website.

Comment

Any sort of shifter you plan on putting in your car won't affect the performance unless you have the tranny itself worked on. Older auto trannies were hydraulically-controlled & it was fine to shift them manually, although most will agree it's still best to leave the tranny in one gear & let it do its thing. The 4L60E in your car is electronically-controlled, and the computer takes care of everything for you. If you want better performance from your tranny, note what was said above about torque converters, shift kits, etc., and go from there.

Comment

ok, thanks Fin. I'll just take your advice and let the computer do its thing!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X