Tranny noise??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny noise??

I have the M5 tranny, and recently it's been making some wierd noises! It make a sort of high pitched whining noise when the car is moving, but only when the clutch is disengaged and the shifter in gear. If i release the clutch, the sound goes away. It does not seem to be gear specific, it happens in almost all of them.

It seems to be at random times; it doesn't always happen for some reason.

Could this be a synchro problem, or maybe just a busted tranny mount? Any help would be appreciated!
    <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

Anybody??
    <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

Comment

If it is when your clutch pedal is pushed in it is your throughout bearing. If it is when your clutch is out then it is a tranny bearing.
      2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

actually if it is happening with your clutch pedal depressed it is probably your pilot bearing/bushing. release bearing usually is free to rotate with input shaft which is not moving with clutch pedal depressed. with clutch down, flywheel with pilot bushing is spinning with the input shaft of trans riding inside pilot bushing, but because the clutch is disengaged, the input shaft, release bearing, and countershaft are not moving.

now this could be caused by a couple of things: of course a bad pilot bushing would cause this. a bad mount would also put strange angles on the way the input shaft enters the pilot bearing. so could a misaligned bellhousing... have checked when you replace clutch. you;ll want to replace pilot bushing then anyway.

[ May 11, 2002: Message edited by: strange_trp ]</p>
        ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X