Torque Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Converter

I know this subject has been talked about, i did a search on previous threads and didn't quite find a definative answer.

I have a 2000 3.8 SII Firebird A4.

What kind of converter does it have stock. I did not get the Y87 Pkg (not sure if the Y87Pkg makes a difference in the converter but i thought it was worth mentioning).

What kind of model/brand/spec of torque converter would work best for me?

I've heard that getting a shift kit and changing your converter is a bad thing to do. Is this true? will i ruin my trans if I change my converter and add a transgo kit too later?

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: BATMAN ]</p>
    - Ryan<br /> A.K.A BATMAN<br /> \"Be part of the solution...<br /> Not the problem\"

A shift kit will prolong the life of the transmission.

A higher stall torque converter will generate more heat than a stock converter. Heat kills transmissions. Thats why you need to install a trans cooler and just watch the trans fluid a little more.
    Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

But the two will work together just fine?

What stall do you recommend? a 2800 or 2500? especially if i'm putting a supercharger on it.

I hear a 2500 is better because a 2800 will cause your car to slide too much?

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: BATMAN ]</p>
      - Ryan<br /> A.K.A BATMAN<br /> \"Be part of the solution...<br /> Not the problem\"

Comment

Yes, the two will work together just fine. I don't know about prolonging the life of the tranny though. I know they claim it, but anyway. I would reccomend a Yank 3000 Series Converter (I am a little partial to them, but hey, you don't have much to choose from). I have one and it is Very Streetable, but give it a mean bite at the track. Make sure that you have a LSD rear end before you get a TC, therwise it kinda defeats the purpose. You will be fighting for traction after you get one [img]smile.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
        -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

sorry to put a question in a question but what does 2500, 2800, 3000 stall speed mean? How do you know which to put in your car?
          White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

ok the stall speed is where the tranny will engage and little blue gremlims jump out and push your car down the street for better performance. then they jump back in your car and throw a party... :D

noo just kidding. the stall speed is where your tranny engages. so if you got a 2500 stall your car would go off the line at 2500 rpms, right in the middle of your power band, thus increasing better off the line performance and better 60ft times..
            not with a bigger stall and 1pc. drive shaft is recommended and good tires, cause you will light them up :eek: :eek: :eek:
            97 CAMARO RS<br />12.9@103mph<br />best 60ft..1.9 ( on street tires)<br /> 1.7 (on gas)<br />turbo supra 12.5@119mph (street tires)<br />new times to come sporting the sp63gt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X