explain gear ratio to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• explain gear ratio to me

I have the Y87 performance package on my '96 V6 Firebird. I am not sure what exactly the different gear ratio means... can someone shed some light? also, the y87 means i have dual exhaust and not just two tail pipes coming out of a single muffler right?

thanks for any help in advance!
    \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

no sorry, just two tailpipes coming out of one muffler. True dual exhaust I have heard is very bad on our cars. For one it sounds like crap and two there was a big performance drop.

the bigger the gear you have the faster you take off from the line. The down side to this is your top speed is less. i'm not sure for the 96's but I know for sure the 98 and up's have a 3.42 in the rear for autos and 3.23 for M6's. If you have a smaller gear, say a 3.08 your low end will not be as fast but you top speed will be better. I have heard having the 3.42 gear takes off half a second on your 1/4 mile time. Half a second might not seem like a lot but it is. You gain something like .11 second for every 10 horses so .5 seconds faster is a nice increase. In the real world this differs but you get the idea. you can't have the best of both worlds. it is eather lowend or topend. Now, you can have both but every time you increase one you loose from the other. How you choose is how you like to drive. I like the feel of being smashed into my seat from takeoffs so I go with a bigger gear, others like the feel of flying down the highway at high speeds so they get a smaller gear. Now remember our cars have governors on them so you can only hit 118 (or something like that) unless you program it out. I hope I helped you out a little. Check out How Stuff Works for some great information about everything. you might not find gearing information under automotive but I'm sure its there.

Edit: And the ratio for a 3.42 is 3.42:1. So everytime the driveshaft makes 3.42 turns the wheels make one turn.

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: bu-bye ]</p>
    White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

thanks for the post! yes, it became clear with your edit [img]smile.gif[/img] you brought up the top speed issue and governor - I've been wondering what the top speed for my V6 firebird is. There's a governor on this car? The speedometer only goes up to 125 and a friend told me the V6 is no where powerful enough to top the speedometer. Is he right?

but isn't top speed kinda irrelevant b/c of cops hehe i mean the highest I've gone is 88 or so, but being a college kid I can't afford tickets.
      \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lostatlantis:
        thanks for the post! yes, it became clear with your edit [img]smile.gif[/img] you brought up the top speed issue and governor - I've been wondering what the top speed for my V6 firebird is. There's a governor on this car? The speedometer only goes up to 125 and a friend told me the V6 is no where powerful enough to top the speedometer. Is he right?

but isn't top speed kinda irrelevant b/c of cops hehe i mean the highest I've gone is 88 or so, but being a college kid I can't afford tickets.
        <hr></blockquote>

Well, he's right in one respect, with the 118 mph limiter theres no way you can top the speedo -- however I think most people here will agree with me 125 wouldn't be difficult to reach with the limiter gone. At 118 theres still quite a bit left to go in third on a 3.42:1 setup.

I don't wanna start this topic up again though (for anyone who reads the other boards). :D

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>the bigger the gear you have the faster you take off from the line. The down side to this is your top speed is less. i'm not sure for the 96's but I know for sure the 98 and up's have a 3.42 in the rear for autos and 3.23 for M6's. If you have a smaller gear, say a 3.08 your low end will not be as fast but you top speed will be better <hr></blockquote>

98 and up A4's are no different than earlier models- 3.08 standard and 3.42 with the Y87 package.

Also, just wanted to point out that 3.08 is a bigger gear than a 3.42- the numbers do not indicate size--only ratio.

cheers

Golden
          1998 Sport Gold Metallic Camaro 3.8

Comment

Trust me at 118 you can't go faster but theres still more power left to be used...I know.
            1996 Y87 A4 Firebird<br />Black, T-tops, Halogen Headlights<br />Infinity Speakers<br />3\" Flowmaster Cat-Back<br />SLP CAI<br />Rebuilt 3.8 with 18k<br />(Stupid Headgasket)

Comment

alright...haha...i just had to reply cause its bugging me....i neither want to bring the topic up again guys so maybe we can all agree on this statement....If there were no governor on the car....YES the bird/camaro would break 125....BUT the last thing i am gonna say is use your imagination when you wanna guess what the TOP speed really is..
              can we agree on that?? haha.. ;)
              2000 Firebird 3.8 A4 w/W68<br />WS6 Ram Air Hood<br />SSM Port/Polished Heads <br />NOS #05175<br />Accel wires<br />Accel Coil Packs<br />MSD DIS-4 High Output<br />zexel torsen w/3.42<br />SLP CAI<br />Whisper Lid<br />K&N filter<br />JET programmer<br />Hypertech 160 degres thermo<br />Flowmaster cat-back<br />air temperature module<br />Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs<br /><a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/ar3/projectfalcon/homepage.html\" target=\"_blank\">www.angelfire.com/ar3/projectfalcon/homepage.html</a>

Comment

A note on horsepower

There is a point of diminishing returns. 10 hp on our car might make a .1 sec difference. 10 hp on a 800 hp 7 sec monster won't do jack :)
                2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strobhen:
                  A note on horsepower

There is a point of diminishing returns. 10 hp on our car might make a .1 sec difference. 10 hp on a 800 hp 7 sec monster won't do jack :)
                  <hr></blockquote>

I agree. I said "in the real world this differs." On paper this looks right but take that info to the track and you are bound to walk away without a smile.
                  White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

Have you ever rode a ten speed? Or maybee a mountain bike? Its just like that. The bigger gear is faster off the line and the smaller gear will go faster on top end.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Have you ever rode a ten speed? Or maybee a mountain bike? Its just like that. The bigger gear is faster off the line and the smaller gear will go faster on top end. <hr></blockquote>

Sorry to beat this dead horse again- but a SMALLER gear will give you more acceleration off the line, and a BIGGER gear wil give you more top end.

3.42= smaller gear (lower gear)
                      3.08= bigger gear (higher gear)
                      1998 Sport Gold Metallic Camaro 3.8

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X