does lsd lower rear wheel hp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does lsd lower rear wheel hp?

I just talked to a guy at my local pontiac dealer who specializes in V6/V8 f-bodies. he says that I'll get less hp to the rear wheels if i get the lsd. he says that because the drivetrain is now turning 2 wheels instead of the 1 w/ the least traction, that I'll get reduced hp to the ground. I can understand this, sort of, but why then does everybody put these on their cars if they reduce hp. My main question is, will a 1LE driveshaft make up for any losses from driving the other rear wheel?
    2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Hehe Dealers crack me up. You don't loose hp by going with a posi. You're putting the same horsepower to 2 wheels instead of 1. Hence more traction cause you have a bigger contact patch to which you putting the power to.

Comment

hehe.. I can see where he may think you might not get as much hp to the ground just because of the extra gear or so to drive but damn.... I'd expect he'd have figured it out by now.

With LSD you're distributing your power to the rear wheels closer to 50/50 instead of the original 0/100 feeling.

So technically, I guess you WILL lose some power... at the only wheel that used to spin! ;)
      1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

Comment

What a flamin' retard.

F-Body Expert?

Tell him to go shoot himself out of a cannon.
        2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

you will loose a little bit of HP to the rear wheels because of the increased weight that is being turned, BUT...its not NEAR enough to make a damn..
          <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X