Traction control Rear vs. non-traction control - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traction control Rear vs. non-traction control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traction control Rear vs. non-traction control

Common question is when people want to put a traction control rear in a non traction control car or vice versa. I'll make a little thread on the differences.

First a little education.

Non-traction control cars have a 3 channel ABS. This is most v6s. What this means is we have 3 wheel sensors, and 3 main brake lines. Front Left, Front Right and Rear. There is a wheel sensor for each, and a brake line for each.

On the rear there is a wheel sensor mounted on the top of the differnetial. Its a magnet sensor that senses the move ment of the ABS reluctor ring that is on the differnetial. And detects when ABS shoudl go off from there. It is less accurate since it detects when the whole rear is locking up.

One brake line goes to the rear of the car and it splits into a "T" to go to each brake.

Traction Control cars have a 4 channel system. This means they have a wheel sensor and a brake line for each wheel.

The wheel sensors are located near the brakes, and there is a small reluctor ring at each end of the axle, the abs sensor detects if ti locks up and adjusts the pressure for each wheel. There is no reluctor ring on the differential, and there is no hole to mount a sensor.

Ways to convert a 4 channel rear to a 3 channel.

I did mine the sort of non-creative way.(still ironing out the issues) I drilled a hole in the top of the differnetial, this isn't and easy task its like 1/2-3/4 of steel and needs to be like a 13/16 hole. And then I pulled the diff and put a abs reluctor ring on it. and mounted the sensor above the hole. It has worked for me recently. But I also hit a hard bump and my absinop light just came on. Going to clean the sensor and remount it.

The other "creative way" that is said to work, is connect one of the 4 channel sensors into the 3 channel plug. I have heard the plugs are the same and the computer reads the one sensor jsut fine and there are no problems.

All you need to do to get a 3 channel rear to work on a 4 channel car, is swap the 4 channel axlesshafts over to the 3 channel car. and mount the sensors int he factory spot. You also need to plug the hole on the top of the diff or just leave the 3 channel sensor in s the plug.
    -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Hey, don't forget that ALL v6's have 3Channel ABS systems, TCS or not.

v8's with TCS have the 4Channel systems.

Good post though :D
    99 WS6
    13.25@104.97 - Lid + soon to be more other stock items ;D

Originally posted by camaroextra
    tears are great lube, but its hard to get a girl to cry onto her own ***.

Comment

There you go... I got board and coudln't sleep for some reason so posted it up.
      -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X