what do u guys think of 4.10 on a a4 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do u guys think of 4.10 on a a4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do u guys think of 4.10 on a a4

i was wondering on the pros and cons on 4.10 in a a4 i dont do much freeway driving i already have 3.73 it was a good gain but not anough. The last gears i had was 3.42. i am doing 15.04 and was wondering if 4.10 will put me in the 14's what do u guys think?
    2000 camaro rs:whisperlid, 2.5 magnaflow exhaust, catco high flow cat, fast toys cai, 3.73, 160 power stat, msd 8.5 wires ngk iridium spark plugs, hpp3, zzp w/p and alt. under drive pullies, 1.9 Rockers/LS6 Springs with ls1 retainers

i wouldnt bother personally. get headers instead
    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
    1994 Camaro - Sold
    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

but mine come with tubler headers all ready. u think up grading the headers will do something? if so what kind?
      2000 camaro rs:whisperlid, 2.5 magnaflow exhaust, catco high flow cat, fast toys cai, 3.73, 160 power stat, msd 8.5 wires ngk iridium spark plugs, hpp3, zzp w/p and alt. under drive pullies, 1.9 Rockers/LS6 Springs with ls1 retainers

Comment

well if 3.73's wasn't good enough, then go with 4.10's.
        -Rick<br /><br />Bright White \'95 Firebird Convertible 3.4L A4 - Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back, Zexel Torsen Posi-traction, Black Checkered Stripes, Clear Corners, Misc. Appearance Mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741</a> <br /><br />AIM ID: AxSlane

Comment

but are there any pros and cons bye doing this with a A4?

Comment

Swapping gears alone isn't worth the investment without needing it. The only reasons to change to a lower gear are to either increase the RPM your motor is at when you cross the traps or to bring your motor above an RPM range that it does not produce power in. I am about to put 4.10s in my A4 Trans Am. I had 3.73s with a cam and motor setup that had a powerband from about 2500-6700 RPM. I recently changed my motor setup and cam and now produce power from about 3500-6800. This makes driving my car on the street extremely difficult because in 4th gear with the TC locked, my motor is spinning below it's power range and in effect it does not produce enough power to push the car and makes it buck and surge (a good example of this effect is to put a 5 speed car in 5th gear at about 25 mph and apply light throttle). 4.10s in my automatic car will bring my RPMs up above 3500 when I'm driving at "street speeds" with the TC locked in 4th.

So basically what I'm trying to say is, don't put a lower gear in your car to make it go faster. Only change gears if you NEED it.
            -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

^^Jeez, what kinda MPG are you expecting to get with the 4.10s (sorry for the thread jack)
              Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Fbody3400:
                ^^Jeez, what kinda MPG are you expecting to get with the 4.10s (sorry for the thread jack)
                If I was worried about MPG, I would be driving a civic, not a 99 TA with a 4000 stall converter, .613" lift cam, and forged bottom end (soon to be sprayed). :D

Seriously though, I figure about 16-17 MPG on the highway. City driving... hell, I get about 10 as it is with 3.73s.
                -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

chances are putting 4.10s in a 3800 without a power adder (ex. nitrous or turbo) will keep the motor well above its powerband. concentrate on making the motor stronger before you make it work harder.
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2230494\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2230494</a> <br />2001 V6 Camaro, M5, Sunset Orange<br />75-125 shot of nitrous<br />Powertrax Locker

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fbody3400:
                    If I was worried about MPG, I would be driving a civic, not a 99 TA with a 4000 stall converter, .613" lift cam, and forged bottom end (soon to be sprayed). :D

Seriously though, I figure about 16-17 MPG on the highway. City driving... hell, I get about 10 as it is with 3.73s.
                    </font>[/QUOTE]haha i didn't realize it had a .613" lift cam and a 4000 stall. I was just assuming it was the usual mild cam 3xxx stall LS1. Its gonna be even more of a beast with that spray :eek:
                    Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

thanks guys for helping me out

Comment

More gear is ALWAYS better for the 1/4
                        I run 4.10's now, but will be swapping them for 4.56's in my A4
                        A4 also runs at lower RPMs in 4th than the M5 runs in 5th.
                        Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X