Broke 3rd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke 3rd gear

I was driving home from work tonight and I was going through the gears at around 11 psi. When I hit 3rd gear about half way through I heard a huge clank and then I lost all power. I put it in neutral and was coasting and it was still making the clanking sound. I finally got it into 4th gear with it still making the clanking sound. 3rd gear was completly shot. It goes into 1st, 2nd, and 4th but it is making a loud sound like there is metal flying around in the inside of the tranny. I'm guessing this is the 3rd gear that got broken off. Time to tear it apart. I know someone got upgraded gears on here before. Where would I find them at? Thanks Steve
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

It actually sounds to me like you might have broke ur clutch disk.. When u got into a gear were u able to still move? cause when i broke my clutch i got the same syndrom and was able to get it to move in first gear a little and then it was totally gone after like a half a minute and there was all this sound of metal crashing around in my tranny. Cause you said u finally got it into fourth or whatever but you didn't state if u drove it home or it just coasted.

Comment

Sucks... man Unfortuneately we have a weak *** transmission.
      -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

It goes in 1st, 2nd, and 4th but when I try to put it into 3rd it feels like nothing is there. It is like putting it in neural. I got it home using 4th gear and 2nd gear, but it was making alot of racket.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I have the exact same problem right now. Well, I was getting on it pretty hard on my way home from work, 1st was okay, 2nd went in fine but 3rd felt almost like it grinded, then a bang, then it wasn't there anymore. 1st 2nd and 4th are all okay but my 3rd is like neutral and I can't manage to pull it into reverse either. I also notice the same clanking sound, seeming to be the same speed as the driveshaft rather than the speed of the clutch and the shifter doesn't return to the center when it's in neutral anymore. I looked into the T56 but it's not really feasible so now I'm looking into a rebuilt tranny with G-force guts. (I think that's the name of the company, I need to search again)... As of now, my plans to beef up the motor are on hold and now I've decided to beef up everything in back. Stage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel are only 3k miles.
          \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

OUCH!
            sorry to hear
            *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

G Force is the name of the company to upgrade your tranny. I just put in a used one from a 2000 Camaro with 35,000 miles. It was $450.00 for the tranny with a year warranty, and $160.00 for the install. I didn't feel like spending $2100.00 for the upgraded tranny just yet. Let us know if you do the G Force tranny, I would like to no how much difference there is with the upgraded internals. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411:
                G Force is the name of the company to upgrade your tranny. I just put in a used one from a 2000 Camaro with 35,000 miles. It was $450.00 for the tranny with a year warranty, and $160.00 for the install. I didn't feel like spending $2100.00 for the upgraded tranny just yet. Let us know if you do the G Force tranny, I would like to no how much difference there is with the upgraded internals. Good luck
                lol did it take your 5th out too? mine did

i drove with 1-2-4 for like 3 months [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

G-forece holds 500 TQ and 600 HP
                keep you old tranny and send that to them the send it back all biults its only 1600 unles you do other upgrade's
                www.turbov6camaro.com
                1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

pfft.... I went a year with no reverse...

and drivent plenty of 1-3-4-5 for months, and worse was when only 2-4-R worked once...
                  -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by shenanigans:
                    pfft.... I went a year with no reverse...

and drivent plenty of 1-3-4-5 for months, and worse was when only 2-4-R worked once...
                    [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                    www.turbov6camaro.com
                    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X