pro 5.0 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pro 5.0 review

I just wanted to add my $.02 as I just had one of these installed in my car. Hopefully it will be of some use to anyone sitting on the fence...

The install:
    -DO be sure to readjust the stop bolts correctly. Mine wasn't and was popping out of 4th gear. Use a little lock-tite. Now everything is perfect.
    -DON'T fool with the instructions and improvise how the inner shift boot is supposed to be cut. The guy who did my install didn't read the directions and the boot was getting in the way of the shift mechanism.

The driving experience:
    -Shifts are shorter than stock. Not night-and-day, but definitely shorter. I didn't bother cutting down the threaded end yet to shorten it more.
    -Shifts are easier than stock. Very little effort required.
    -Shifts are ten million times more precise. It really makes the car more fun to drive.

The noise:
    -There is some vibration through the shifter [unavoidable] at greater than half throttle sometimes. It's not that annoying, and it doesn't happen when I am just cruising. It happens when I goose the throttle. Rattles usually bother me, but this doesn't- it's totally worth it for the driving experience.

The purchase:
    -Bought from Thunder Racing. Price was among the cheapest I could find [most places are pretty similar], and the shipping was quick. I think they are a site sponsor.
    \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Update:

Since putting in the pro 5.0, I've logged a lot of miles on the street and just came back from the strip. I still have yet to miss a 2-3 upshift with this shifter [something that would happen at least once a week on the street and about 30% of the time at the strip].

Any vibration/noise that I get is not bad, and not constant. I pretty much have tuned it out. Everyone who drives the car now really loves the feel of the new shifter.

What I would do differently next time:
    -Install the thing myself the first time. Not hard.
    -Maybe cut an inch off the top of the shifter [the threaded area is much longer than needed for the knob] to make the shifts even shorter.
    \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X