Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal for a tranny?

My car is an automatic.

I've noticed when shifting out of reverse into drive there is a slight delay in the time it takes for the tranny to actually engage. Sometimes the revs will build up and the tires will actually chirp when the tranny engages. I didnt really think much of it, but today I actually did a pretty decent burnout b/c of this. I was pulling out of a parking spot and I was in hurry so I was going pretty fast to be in reverse, well I shifted into drive and gassed it just to see what would happen and I think my tires would have spun all day if I wouldnt have let off...is this normal?
    1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

it not normal for it to have a long period of time for engagment and its normal for you to burn dropping it into drive from reverse but it is absolutely not good for you to do that.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Check the fluid level in the trans, and get the filter/fluid changed if it's hasn't been done within the past few years or so...
      sigpic

Comment

Enjoy your transmission while you can...
        1997 Camaro T-Top A4<br />Magnaflow cat & 3\" catback

Comment

Definitely check tranny fluid and get it the filter replaced asap. Delayed engagement means lack of fluid getting to the pump which signals tranny filter partially clogged. It is normal for our auto's take a second or two to engage the forward drive gears but sounds to me like its more than just a second or two in your case.
          1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Comment

Mine does this too but not for nearly long enough to do a burnout. How long is too long? Mine takes about half of a "mississippi" second.

Comment

That sounds about right.
              1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X