Has anyone installed Zexel Torsen in a 1998+ F-body?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone installed Zexel Torsen in a 1998+ F-body??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone installed Zexel Torsen in a 1998+ F-body??

The subject says it all. I'm wondering if anyone with a 1998+ F-body has installed the Zexel Torsen($99 at SLP)? I've had my Zexel Torsen since before Christmas and have not installed it due to the cold weather, rain, and having to work almost every Saturday. I'm hoping that I'll be off this Saturday and it's suppose to be warm, so I was thinking about installing it. I have read about people installing them on earlier 93-97 f-bodys. The reason I ask is, the 1998+ F-bodys have 4 wheel disc brakes instead of the drum brakes in the back. So, is the installation any different, I would think it would be easier? Am I correct? I remember someone on here had the installation on their web page, but it was for a 93-97 Camaro with drum brakes. Also, about how long should it take, I've never worked on the rear end of my Camaro before let alone any car. Plus, what will I need for the installation? I know I'll be needing trans fluid as listed in the owners manual and another rear seal. Please let me know if I'm forgetting anything. Where should I buy the rear end seal at? Please help. I'm going to try to get everything together before Saturday so I can get up early and have it installed before that afternoon.

Thanks again for any help. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2000 V6 Camaro(bought brand new)
    5 speed
    Project: Unreal
    Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
    2007 Chevy Aveo 5
    Mods K&N air filter:excited:
    www.guardiansworlds.com

I watched the guy @ my shop do it in a half hour. Seemed like a snap. I just didn't have the patience or the time.

Comment

I'm planning on installing mine in my 99 V6 this saturday as well. From what I understand you just take off the brake rotors and calipers and then continue just like the instructions for the one with drum brakes that you saw. Besides needing gear oil and a new gasket you will need some RTV sealent and some GM limited slip diff additive, about $7 from the dealership.
      99 Camaro *SOLD* 8/27/03<br />03 Toyota Tacoma X-Tra cab, 5spd, TRD package

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bobby:
        Besides needing gear oil and a new gasket you will need some RTV sealent and some GM limited slip diff additive, about $7 from the dealership.<hr></blockquote>

You don't need the limited slip additive for a Zexel Torsen. It's only for clutch type LSDs, like Auburns. ;)

Matt
        Matt
        1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

I was in the dealership yesterday and they didn't think it took it either but after looking it up in the computer they said I still needed it.
          99 Camaro *SOLD* 8/27/03<br />03 Toyota Tacoma X-Tra cab, 5spd, TRD package

Comment

http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=23&t=000006

Matt
            Matt
            Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
              http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=23&t=000006

Matt
              <hr></blockquote>

Some good debates in that thread. Both the links in it are dead though...
              \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

If you want to see some install guides, try these:
                http://www.geocities.com/d_payton1/g...tallation.html
                http://www.fastblackcar.com/camaro/lsd.htm

Matt
                Matt

Comment

Hey, thanks for all the info. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I'm going to be installing the LSD tomorrow. Well, later on today since it's after 12am already. I don't think I have to put the limited slip additive in, but I may go ahead, to be on the safe side. I'm still thinking on this. It seems like half the people don't use the additive and the other half does us the additive after installing the LSD. Also, if I do want the additive, can I buy it at Advance Auto Parts??? Welp, wish me luck. :D

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Guardiannknight ]

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Guardiannknight ]</p>
                  5 speed

Daily driver
                  2007 Chevy Aveo 5
                  www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

I would like to meet the man who can change a pumpkin and gears in less than an hour. I would keep someone like that far away from my car. Bye the way, Auburn uses additive for the clutch packs, but Torsen does not require it.
                    180 Thermo, K&N Filter, Transgo stage 2, Pacesetters, Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Catback, 3.42 LSD, Hotchkis LCA/Panhard, Bilstein, Eibach Pro, 1LE bars, SP crossdrilled/slotted rotors.<br /><br />Vortech Project 1.0 failed.<br />Vortech Project 2.0 in the works

Comment

Just want to say, thanks for all the info everyone. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                      5 speed

Daily driver
                      2007 Chevy Aveo 5
                      www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

Is this posi even still available? I have heard from numerous people it was on backorder and since there are no more fbody's it seems it might be on eternal backorder. Im not for sure but im going to call SLP on monday and try to order one.
                        Hot Cammed LT1 Sleeper

Comment

i ordered mine a little over a week ago. i got an email back saying it was on backorder so they couldn't give me a date on when it will be shipped. i don't know how long it's going to take.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I watched the guy @ my shop do it in a half hour. Seemed like a snap. I just didn't have the patience or the time. <hr></blockquote>
                            <blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I would like to meet the man who can change a pumpkin and gears in less than an hour. <hr></blockquote>

Didn't say that the gears were changed. Only the carrier. It wouldn't take long to do it. The longest part would be swapping the ring gear and abs reluctor ring over. With no interuptions, I think that somebody with enough experience could do it in less than an hour.
                            \" As being is to becoming, so is pure itellect to opinion, so is science to belief, and understanding to the peception of shadows.\" - Plato

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X