Guys with A4 step in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys with A4 step in.

I was just wondering why my car does this...wondering if yours does too?

At WOT, the 1-2 shift takes place at only 5,600rpms (shifts at first "dashed" redline). The 2-3 shift goes all the way to 6,000rpm...first full barred redline). Why don't both shifts go all the way to 6,000?

Mine doesn't do this. It shifts at 5800, it never goes to 6000. I've heard about it happening on other automatics though.
    -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Mines neither. 99Camaro, you might wanna get that checked out. Hate to see you screw your motor up.
      <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Mine neither. 5600-5800 range always.

The only time that it shifted at 6000 is when I was using the Jet SCU2000 speedo calibrator.
        <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Sigh...
          How do you know this? If you are watching the tach then you have several hundred rpms of lag. The faster the engine revs, the more the lag. That's why you get the most lag in 1st gear.

Secondly, you won't be shifting at 6000 rpm no matter what. I don't know what the numebrs are, but I am confident the stock programming shifts several hundred rpm below the limiter. If it didn't, it would bang the limiter at WOT. This is one reason I need to play with the shift points in HPP3.

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: HAZ-Matt ]</p>
          Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

so mine shifts to early?? mine changes out at about 4500-5500 rpm. wish mine would go that high.
            98 Camaro V6

Comment

i noticed mine shifting to late though. from 1st to 2nd sometimes i'd go all the way to almost 6000 rpm's. i think i'm kicking the rev limiter cause the car does something like a pause before shifting to 2nd. i've already flushed trans and tc. i didn't reset pcm after oil change. someone else with this problem ??
              2003 Mustang Mach 1 5 Speed<br />288 rwhp SAE 315 rwtq SAE<br />BFG DR\'s, SLP Loudmouth Catback, K&N CAI<br />60\': 2.145<br />13.41@105.67MPH (Stock)<br />--- Best et ----<br />60: 1.932<br />1/4:12.851@106.39MPH <br />best mph: 107.65

Comment

my car used to bang the limiter on the 2-3 shift until I had the Y87 Throttle Lag PCM upgrade. Ever since then it's been shifting like this and well I can't go wrong with it. The pulling power is f'in awesome.

BTW, anyone go with the 3-4 shift at 111mph, try holding D (3) all the way to 118. The 3-4 @ 111 is only at 5,000rpms so I hold 3 to 118, bringing the rpms just a tad under 6,000. Talk about hard pulling up there. I've beaten plenty of 3.8s like this [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: 99Camaro99 ]</p>

Comment

i've hit 70 in second gear one time. ever since i had the tranny rebuilt it's been hanging on that 2-3 shift now and then. i'm thinking it may have something to do with the gears i have in the back and the shift points getting all screwy, so i'll have to wait till i can reprogram my speedo to find out for sure
                  you can\'t get off if you don\'t get on

Comment

tach lag. i know the 2k+ cars have it, mabye the 99's have it too. mine is beyond stupid. i mean i rev and by the time the engine revs are on their way down, the tach is just hitting the peak of where the rpm's were. dominic can second this. btw sorry for pointing out how crappy your tach was dominic, i thought you knew this already, lol.

Comment

I don't have tach lag, I have throttle lag. It's a difference. There were problems with Y87 models with the A4s in 1999. First year throttle by wire.

Comment

do we have a way to fix this tach or throttle lag?? do you guys think that's the problem i have ?
                        2003 Mustang Mach 1 5 Speed<br />288 rwhp SAE 315 rwtq SAE<br />BFG DR\'s, SLP Loudmouth Catback, K&N CAI<br />60\': 2.145<br />13.41@105.67MPH (Stock)<br />--- Best et ----<br />60: 1.932<br />1/4:12.851@106.39MPH <br />best mph: 107.65

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 99redcamaro:
                          do we have a way to fix this tach or throttle lag?? do you guys think that's the problem i have ?<hr></blockquote>

In 1999, GM altered the throttle body setup on our motors to throttle by wire. For the Y87 models, there seemed to be a sort of throttle lag (e.g. if you floor it from a 50 roll it will take a long time to downshift, pick up, and go). I told them about this and they basically updated the PCM for me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X