how much oil does the rear end hold? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much oil does the rear end hold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much oil does the rear end hold?

I thought about doing this as a weekend project with changing other fluids. I am curious of a couple things.

What kind of gear oil do I need?
    How much gear oil do I need?

Also the fill plug is on the top sorta of the rear end right?

Please let me know,
    Chris

If you look at it you will see the plug, i use 80/90w and a tube of trans x posi lube, get two containers of gear oil that should be enough. i once used some thicker oil to help out some minor whine and it worked.
    Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

Comment

1.75 quarts, 1.7L I believe is what the book says. Basically you fill it until it overflows on the plug on the SIDE (passenger) of the pumpkin, not on the top.

Cp

Comment

IT SMELLS LIKE ALLHE**!!!!!!!!!!!
        RedLineVSix <br />95 Patriot Red Trans Am, M6, 3.42\'s,no rear tires<br />(SOLD!)97 Silver Camaro 3.8 Liter A4 3.42 + LSD, 1pc DS, and one messed up speedo :)

Comment

You need to buy 2qts.
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

advice; get some kind of pump to pump the oil in there

try very hard to not get oil all over the garage floor.
            2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

if you have a LSD make sure you put the LSD non slip fluid in first. Then use two containers of Mobile 1. The containers are real flexable so you don't need a pump you can just squeeze it in like they said until it pours out the opening for the bolt.

Also remember to get a new gasket and some RVT high temp silicone. While the rear cover is off it's a good idea to clean the magnet off since it has metal shavings from your gears on it. Good luck, it smells like crap like they said before,
              2000 Y87 Bird M5 with mods<p><a href=\"http://www.vzavenue.net/~ngeorg/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.vzavenue.net/~ngeorg/</a>

Comment

you people are actually holding a serious conversation about how much fluid you can put in your rear end. :eek: :D

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Domestic Violence:
                  you people are actually holding a serious conversation about how much fluid you can put in your rear end. :eek: :D <hr></blockquote>

agreed i could have put gear oil in 14,127 cars by now :D I think its funny 9 people say to put 2 quarts in [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                  Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SLOWBRAEATER:

agreed i could have put gear oil in 14,127 cars by now :D I think its funny 9 people say to put 2 quarts in [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                    <hr></blockquote>

Umm, I think you missed DV's joke :D [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] .

Back to spunger's question, it takes 1 LSD Additive (if you have an LSD) and about 2 containers of 75w90 fluid. GM recommends theirs, but Mobil 1 or the like should be fine.

Chris
                    <b>2002 BSM TransAm WS.6 M6</b><br /><b>350rwhp, 365rwtq</b><br /><b>Stock:</b>13.455 @ 105.39 2.129 60\'<br /><b>Mod:</b>12.449 @ 113 1.832 60\'<br /><br /><b>2004 QSM GTO M6</b><br /><b>303rwhp, 329rwtq</b><br />Stock: 13.74 @ 102.14 2.1 60\'<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6</a> <br /><br /><b>1984 Firebird S/E M5</b><br />2.8L

Comment

ok do you actually think you told him anything different than what almost everyone else said? :rolleyes:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        3 days ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Little work today
                        by ssms5411
                        Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X