Is it normal for a Yank TC to whine a little bit? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal for a Yank TC to whine a little bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it normal for a Yank TC to whine a little bit?

Well I just got my torque converter installed and needless to say I am very happy with it. I do however have a question. When I start from a stop in about the first 2k of rpm's there is an audible whine which must be coming from the transmision, it wasnt there before and now it is so I guess thats it. Is this normal or is this something that I should be concerned about.
    1998 Firebird 3.8, A4<br />Mods: Alum Ds, Yank TC 2800 stall, Rksport lid, FTRA, SLP air temp sensor, K&N, Flowmaster catback 2.5\" w/cutout, 3:42 gears w/LSD<br />Best E/T: 15.6 @ 86 mph (w/o gears / lsd or verter)<br />Best 60: 2.234<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamfoxfire.iwarp.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.teamfoxfire.iwarp.com</a> -- club site<p>To come?: l67 piston package hardened, turbo? spray? low 12\'s? well see

Mine wines alittle till about 2 grand untill i read this i didnt even remember i dont even hear it anymore. It became a regular noise like the rest of them that i block out
    <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

my PI is silent. no sounds. did you buy the conveter new?

if so that may just be some break in for the converter.. see if it goes away in a few days before you get worried

Comment

its a used verter. Im sure it will become a normal sound but Im just worried that the guy that installed it did a bad job or something. Ill just have to wait it out I guess.

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Dirty8-un-Dreds ]</p>
        1998 Firebird 3.8, A4<br />Mods: Alum Ds, Yank TC 2800 stall, Rksport lid, FTRA, SLP air temp sensor, K&N, Flowmaster catback 2.5\" w/cutout, 3:42 gears w/LSD<br />Best E/T: 15.6 @ 86 mph (w/o gears / lsd or verter)<br />Best 60: 2.234<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamfoxfire.iwarp.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.teamfoxfire.iwarp.com</a> -- club site<p>To come?: l67 piston package hardened, turbo? spray? low 12\'s? well see

Comment

my converter has a whine too... make sure yuo tranny fluid is at it's proper level. also how do you like the verter

Comment

i also got a yank (new) but i don't hear any noise from mine.
            TT BABY!!<br />98 Firebird Y87<br />Headers, Cut Out, 80 series Flowmaster, 160 thermo, SLP Fan Switch, Taylor ignition wires, Yank Torq Conv 2800, B&M Tranny Cooler, Transgo Stage 3, SLP CAI, Whisper lid, SLP STB, DD KB SFC, Billet Adj PHR & LCA. More coming!

Comment

Ever ride on a big school bus or truck with an automatic tranny...you'll hear a boat load of noise, same thing with yours. Even my stock converter/tranny is starting to make a little noise in first gear...but only when cold. It would be safe to bet that it is just some fluid harmonics from the gross amount of slip in your converter taking off. There is a better explaination, but I don't want to bore you.
              1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

ohhh snap!! you got the Yank Supercharged converter didnt you??? :D But anyways my Yank doesnt whine and i got mine brand new

[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: Shane ]</p>
                Past Ride
                1995 Firebird A4 3.8 Turbocharged -- 12.50 at 108
                (If you dont know me, you haven't had a V6 long enough)

Current Ride
                2006 Mitsubishi Evolution GSR

www.myspace.com/shane1015

Comment

My car has lots of noises so I dunno
                  Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                  nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                  2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                  2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    2 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X