guys with tranny coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guys with tranny coolers

Hey, anyone with tranny coolers I got a question. Where exactly do you mount them and how well do they work. B/c i was gonna get the electric shift improver but it heats up the tranny, and I was gonna get the cooler to keep the temp low.
    97 Red Firebird W68 3.8L, T-Tops, Ground effects, Dynomax Super Tubo, Stock T/A tips, BMR strut tower brace, SLP Cold air intake

don't get the electric shift improver--waste of tranny life, and money.

cooler can be installed anywhere you want to install it, but i installed mine on the front of the radiator, right under the nose of the car. just get some twisty ties and make sure it is pretty secure.
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Only4U:
      don't get the electric shift improver--waste of tranny life, and money.

cooler can be installed anywhere you want to install it, but i installed mine on the front of the radiator, right under the nose of the car. just get some twisty ties and make sure it is pretty secure.
      <hr></blockquote>

i concur
      6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

3rd vote

An electric shift "improver" (quotes there for a reason) causes a lot of unecessary wear & tear on the transmission for no noticable gain.

I would never let one touch my car, even if it were given to me for free!
        2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>An electric shift "improver" (quotes there for a reason) causes a lot of unecessary wear & tear on the transmission for no noticable gain.

I would never let one touch my car, even if it were given to me for free!
          <hr></blockquote>

ditto, and twisty ties own

merlin
          2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

I disagree about the "Improver". It does exactly what it says. I have one in each of my 4l60e trannies. One in my camaro, and another in my z71. I've had one in my z71 for a few years now and it's running strong. It may not be as much of an improvement as the shift kit but does improve over stock. It can also be adjusted back to stock in the flick of a switch. I have no problem with all of your opinions on not using it, just there isn't enough proof that it more harmful to your tranny than a shift kit. State that you don't have one (or maybe you had one) and what you've heard about them. (or personally witnessed) Not everyone has problems with thier's and are content with it. For the price i'm very pleased with this product.
            96 Camaro RS A4 T-tops<br />Loudmouth <br />and other audio mods

Comment

4 out of 5 agree. this would make a great commercial.
              6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

i got a tranny cooler... i got it if i get a jet chip or shift kit.. but i also got it because im hard on my tranny and anything to extend the life would be idea.. i payed 70 dollars for the racing tranny super cooler.. made for racing and 24,000 pound vechiles..it was mounted on my radiator.. i riped off some of the plastic "guards" the one directly under your radiator and the one over your airbag sensor.. been driving without those for months with no problem..its a good mode.. prolly takes a good hour to install with a friend and proper tools.. here is an excellent link that helped me.. : http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/94Z/trannycooler.htm
                95 3.4 camaro convertable(black/Whitetop)<br />-Dynomax high-flow cat, flowmaster exhaust,K&N intake,17x9 ROH wheels on 275s, B&M Racing transmission supercooler-<br />Mods:yes <br />Loud:yes<br />Fast:no

Comment

I dunno about the shift improver. I have heard that the 4L60's in LS1's have a stiffer shifting setup because of the increased power output of the motor, and the shift firmness is due to increased pressure, the same pressure a shift improver would do to our tranny's. i tend to lean toward B&M's tranny cooler. I'll get one when I get a higher stall TC put into the 'bird, and Intead of increasing line pressure, I'll just replace the tranny someday w/ a race-prepped unit from LS1 speed or somewhere reliable, where mroe clutches and bigger servo's create firmer shifts.
                  2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

Alright I'm going to ask an absurdly dumb question. How do you know if a transmission cooler is even necessary? I'm not hauling anything but I do have 3.73 gears and a TransGo shiftkit. The Trango site says that the kit will reduce heat stress on the transmission so I never bothered getting a tranny cooler. What do you guys think? Is it something to get?

Comment

Just spend the money on the TransGo kit. It works excellent, and extends the life of the tranny instead of reducing it like the electronic ones. And yeah, the tranny cooler is best mounted infront of the radiator on the bottom so it gets a nice airflow over it.
                      Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X