Poly trans mount height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly trans mount height

In case anybody'd like to know, I measured the poly trans mount sold by Thunder Racing, I believe it's Energy Suspension (I can't remember), anyways, it's 1/2" shorter than the stock one (2" for the poly, 2 1/2" for stock).
    Also, if you get one, I would strongly recommend tossing the studs, nuts, and washers that they provide, they are junk. I somehow managed to jam the nut on one of the studs, and after having the nut back off (so the tranny was flopping up and down in the tunnel while I was driving), I sheared the stud just trying to torque it to the stock specs (77lb/ft).
    Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

yep.. btw this is the same for a 1LE mount that's why I have 2 1/4" steel spacers between the mount and the crossmemeber.. btw this is the same for a 1LE mount

earlier post.. :D
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

Comment

im about to put mine on tomorrow morning. It woulda been done tonight but i am missing a bolt. But i was wondering about the hardware they (thunder racing) provide with the poly mount. It seems as if there should be a washer between the crossmember and the nut, they did not provide one, wouldn't it be smart to put one there? That hardware looks really crappy too.

And, since it is gonna be a half inch shorter, will my stock shifter also be hitting the console in 4th?
      2000 M5 SILVER FIREBIRD<br />*Flowmaster 80<br />*K&N air filter<br />*SLP LCAs<br />*Fast Toys CAI

Comment

yes more than likely your shifter will hit in 2nd and 4th..

those bolts that come with the poly mount are for mounting it to the cross member, not to the trasmission, you re-use those bolts that go up into the tranny.

and as far as the ones that came with the mount looking to be crappy, well they are from what I remember supposed to be pretty high strength bolts, honestly though if you aren't gonna put on an aftermarket shifter I wouldn't install the mount without a spacer to raise it back up that 1/2" because it also causes additional driveline vibration due to the transmission angle change.
        -Brad
        98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
        2000 V-Star Custom 1100
        If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
        :rock:

Comment

I didn't have any issues w/my mount. Just made sure that the preload bar was installed between the mount & tranny. I do think mine came w/washers though, really didn't know I had to remember that 2 mos later [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]
          1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
          94 comero 3.4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go:
            I didn't have any issues w/my mount. Just made sure that the preload bar was installed between the mount & tranny. I do think mine came w/washers though, really didn't know I had to remember that 2 mos later [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

what is a preload bar?
            2000 M5 SILVER FIREBIRD<br />*Flowmaster 80<br />*K&N air filter<br />*SLP LCAs<br />*Fast Toys CAI

Comment

A letter I wrote to Energy Suspensions that never got answered...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Hello, my names' Blig, and I have a problem that I think you may be able to help me with.
              In addition to owning a 1979 Camaro Z28, I also own a 1998 Camaro that is my daily driver. It has the 3.8L V6 with a manual (T-5) transmission.
              When I run the car hard, I have snapped, or ripped through the stock rubber transmission mount. And have had to replace it. This is the second mount that has been destroyed. So I figure, naturally it's time to bumb up to polyurethane mounts to handle the torque load. Well, this is easier said than done.
              I looked under the car, and at the measurements and did not see at first why the V8 transmission mount (which is the same for just about every V8 powered F-body from '70 to current) PN# 1108 wouldn't work. So I went about purchasing your Polyurethane transmission mount at my local AutoZone for 25 bucks. (Much better than my stock mount which is a dealer only item at 120 bucks)
              I removed the transmission crossmember, and found that the PN# 1108 will bolt up perfectly to the T-5 tranny. But the V8 crossmember and the V6 Manual Transmission crossmember are different slightly. And in stock form will not allow the tranny mount-to-crossmember bolt hole to line up. I did some massaging on both sides of my crossmember. On one side to elongate the adjustment hole just enough to get your supplied bolt with washer, and the other side to make enough clearance to allow a socket into that hole. With both of those modifications done, the mount fits rather nicely. And, now that I think about it, simply swapping over to a V8 crossmember would elleviate the cutting I had to do. But hey, we're Hot Rodders and we make work with what we've got, right?
              So at this point, with the transmission crossmember in place I remove the safety jacks, and lower the vehicle for a test drive. Upon firing up the vehicle I immediately notice race-car vibrations. This is due to a catalytic converter hanger being attached to the tranny, which is now held to the body through polyurethane. Poly is stronger than rubber so slight amount of road noise and vibration is normal. And I have witnessed the normal vibration, which is to say virtually nill thanks to your superior designs. However on the V6, the exhaust and motor vibration was intense. As I stated of race-car quality. So I test drove it and found that it gets worse around 3 to 4 thousand RPM, and in general unbearable even for a down-and-gritty hot rodder. This is still a street car, that must transport women (heh).
              So upon further inspection I tried removing the Preload plate. This seems to be a common deviation from your instructions with regards to Camaro and Firebird owners. It causes un-needed vibration, and from what I've heard, has supported over 600 rear wheel horsepower in both automatic and manual transmissions with no evidence of failure despite removing the preload plate. I did that, and it didn't help. I dare say it got even worse, as now, second gear was coming up short and the stock shifter was hitting the console. The vibrations still there and unbearable.
              I lifted the car a third time and took more measurements and found the root of the problem. Your transmission mount works on the V8 with a manual or automatic transmission. And your mount will also work on the V6 automatic transmission. Because they are using the 4L60-E automatic transmission in the V6. Which happens to be the same transmission that is used on the V8. So in essence it has the "V8 tranny" while the manual version which uses the T-5 tranny comes up short in heighth compared to the T-56 and the 4L60-E transmissions. Crossmember modification aside.
              What I found is that the stock transmission mount (for the T-5) from crossmember mounting plate to the transmission mounting plate is exactly 2 and 9/16's inches. While your PN#1108 transmission mount stands at 1 and 15/16's inches.
              I need at least another half-inch (using the preload plate) [or a braket that is 5/8 of an inch to install without the preload plate] added to correct my driveshaft angle - that is why I am sensing undue vibration. I have consulted with others, and I recognize the low volume of V6 manual transmission Camaro's, and them being in need of a polyurethane transmission mount. So, since I have found that the "V8 mount" the PN# 1108 will fit, I wonder if I could appeal to you to construct a bracket simply based off of the Preload plate, simply make it a half inch thick and sell this as a V6 Manual transmission adapter. Or perhaps a polyurethane piece that is the same size and shape of the preload plate (just a half inch in thickness - really 5/8") with tapped holes to match the PN# 1108 transmission mount. That way I would restore my driveshaft angle and still be allowed to use a polyurethane mount (which I desperately need).
              While I'd rather not do this, but I suppose a series of Preload plates stacked together would serve as the bracket I would need. So if nothing can be done as far as a new part, could I be sent some extra preload plates (heh, a half-inchs' worth) or allowed to order them at a small fee? <hr></blockquote>
              <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X