Transmission Kicking in and out of lockup - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission Kicking in and out of lockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Kicking in and out of lockup

99 Camaro - A4 - The transmission feels like it kicks in and out of lockup at highway speeds, but it could be slipping. Chevy dealership has looked at it twice (been going on for a year) and they cant figure it out, not throwing any codes... anyone know anything about this problem?
    99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

I thought my transmission was slipping, or the lock-up was messing up this weekend on the freeway. It would feel like a little kick when in 4th gear, and a heavy load, like going up hill. I hooked autotap up, and it turned out to be misfires. Not enough to set off the SES light, but the car was misfiring every time I thought the transmission was screwing up.

Just something to check.
    <a href=\"http://www.fatninjas.com/camaro\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Convertible</a>

Comment

What did you do to correct the misfiring? Wires & plugs?
      1999 Camaro Hugger Orange 3800 A4 <p>Mods-SLP SS exhaust, K&N, SLP STB, SLP SFCS, 1LE Sway Bars(32/19), 99 C5 Wheels on 255/45ZR17\'s-17\'s on all corners...Non-Y87

Comment

Watch the rpm while your driving at a steady speed, if it goes up and down a few hundred rpm at the same time you're feeling the kick, it's the tcc engaging and disengaging. Short version of a long story, it's going to eventually torch the tranny. Don't waste your time with the dealership, they will either rebuild it or replace it, and it will have the same problem(s) later on down the road. Get it rebuilt by a competent tranny shop, including getting the pwm tcc delete, and the various other fix kits for this tranny, and you will be much happier, and better off. Superior Transmission makes the fix kits, there may be a couple of other companies that also do, but that's where my stuff came from.
        Here's from a previous post of mine:

For all of you with A4s, I would highly recommend getting your tranny rebuilt the first chance that you're able. You will be amazed at the difference it makes.
        The guy who did my rebuild said that he found almost .004" of play in the pump housing (total of .072" of play with a .068" bushing from the factory), and .100" of play in the clutch housing alone, and said that's what he routinely finds from the factory. He said that they have one standard size of bushing that they use, and they don't bother with shims, they just throw the thing together, regardless of how much play is in it.
        As part of the rebuild, I had him install several fix kits, one got rid of the delay going into first and reverse, another one got rid of the pulse width modulated tcc apply and converted it to a straight on-off apply. He also installed corvette servos, a 9-disc clutch pack (stock is 6 disk), a high energy band, and a mild shift kit.
        This thing is amazing now. It's noticeably firmer, and accelerates much better. The shifts are not harsh, but sharp and firm. There's no more play in the driveshaft when it's in park (grab your driveshaft, and you can turn it a bit each way). It's beautiful .
        Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X