Metal Shavings in ATF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Shavings in ATF

Well, I changed the transmission fluid in the Bird today because I've been having some trouble with converter Shudder and all that, and what did I find, a whole lot of metal shavings stuck to that handy magnet in there. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

I think it's the Yank Converter, and they told me I could send it in for a check up, but that means I have to get the damn thing off. So I am looking at any other options.
    -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

big pieces or dust size?
    ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Dust Size.

Hey Strange, Haven't seen you on here in a while, how are you doing?
      -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

If I were you I wouldn't be driving my car very much. Metal shavings have to be coming from somewhere and of those get in your tranny and start getting into the gears then you'll be buying a rebuild kit if not a new tranny.
        1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

How many miles do you have on it? Believe it or not, the powder type shavings are normal. It's just normal wear. That's why the magnet is there and that's why you change the filter every 7500 miles. You can see what these guys have to say but every auto I've ever had has had the same powder shavings everytime I change the filter. When was the last time you changed the filter? If it's only been like 5000 miles and you have a lot of powder then there could be a problem.

Comment

No, I realize that a little bit of dust shavings are normal, like when I changed the fluid 10,000 miles ago I had a little bit. But this time I was changing it because of some converter problems I have been having, and there was a LOT in there. It just worries me a little bit.

Hopefully the thing will last until I graduate in December, THen I can get a brand new tranny in there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X