shift kit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift kit??

i just read many posts on this forum and i noticed that some automatic cars have SHIFT KITS. CAN U GUYS TELL ME WHAT THEY DO AND WHERE TO FIND THEM??. My car is automatic and last night i kinda raced my friend's 2000 civic si, he has intake and exhaust and a new fiber hood. we were pretty even all the way home, until we went over 90 and he seemed to be beating me, i was wondering if a shift kit would help me go faster and keep up with a stick car.
    thanks for the info
    2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 <br />M6, Magnaflow\'s 14336<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/v6purplebird\" target=\"_blank\">C6 Pics</a><br /><br />Old car:<br />1996 Firebird A4<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Magnaflow Catback Exhaust<br />Magnaflow Catalytic Converter<br /><br />George Mason University<br />CEIE Major<br />Pi Kappa Alpha<br /><br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nsolano\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird Pics </a>

Shift kit simply makes all your gear changes FASTER in an automatic. Less time spent between gears = more time spent putting power to the pavement.
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

shift kit basically increases main line pressure. some also soften the accumulator springs. this won't help you if your friend is leaving you at 90mph, though.
      a shift kit gives you firmer shifts by applying the friction components inside your trans harder when it shifts.

you did pretty good against a 2000 si with those mods. they are MUCH lighter than us. what is your final drive ratio?

[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: strange_trp ]</p>
      ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

so it might make me go a little faster from take off or up to like 50mph. but after that it will be the same as my stock tranny. Should i even consider getting one? i think my gear ratio is 3.42, not sure though, i got a 1996 havent really looked into that.
        2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 <br />M6, Magnaflow\'s 14336<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/v6purplebird\" target=\"_blank\">C6 Pics</a><br /><br />Old car:<br />1996 Firebird A4<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Magnaflow Catback Exhaust<br />Magnaflow Catalytic Converter<br /><br />George Mason University<br />CEIE Major<br />Pi Kappa Alpha<br /><br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nsolano\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird Pics </a>

Comment

I've got TransGo shift kit in mine. I like it a lot. It's not as good as having a stick but it's close. You don't get that "confort lag" between shifts any more. I think I got mine at Thunder Racing for maybe $60. I've had it in for a couple years. I'm running 3:73 gears myself with an Auburn Posi. I put the shif kit in myself and it didn't seem too hard at all. Of course I work on F-16's for a living............ The kit includes a new filter,three heavy duty springs, gasket, and instructions. You do have to drill a couple of holes in the metal seal.The holes are already there............you're just making bigger to incease the flow of fluid, therefore tightening up the shifts.

Comment

ok thanks, i think i might try it, but u don't have to shift right, it keeps being an automatic. Just accelerate and it will shift like a stick. I hope this helps show the power of my car a little more.

one more question though. I read in the manual that i should use the 1 or 2 options for steep hills only, and the 3 or D for normal driving. My friend told me that i shuld use those options when racing, use it like a stick to shift until i get to D. should i do this??

Comment

Ya, it shifts its self. You can shift like that if you want 1,2,3,D. I just put mine in D. It doesn't shift till red line any way. Same as if you were to shift it yourself.

Comment

I have the B&M electronic shift kit, and I would say that I like it and all, but I really want to go with the real shift kit, and the corvett servo. I was wondering if anybody else has ridden in a car with the transgo kit and the electronic kit, I was wondering if they are really that different? I have ridden in my friends TA and he had put in the transgo kit, and i liked that a lot better than my electronic kit, I hope i get the same results that he did with his/
                1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

If you want your auto to be like a manual than get a high stall torque converter. Improvements are as much as .5 off your e.t. You'll smoke the little POS civic then.
                  1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wolfy:
                    I have the B&M electronic shift kit, and I would say that I like it and all, but I really want to go with the real shift kit, and the corvett servo. I was wondering if anybody else has ridden in a car with the transgo kit and the electronic kit, I was wondering if they are really that different? I have ridden in my friends TA and he had put in the transgo kit, and i liked that a lot better than my electronic kit, I hope i get the same results that he did with his/<hr></blockquote>

hey man I have an A4 with the TransGo shift kit and its great. It even breaks the tires loose every once in a while into second, when its wet i go a sliding
                    Pat<p>Favorite Quote \"Estrogen poisons the Mind!\"

Comment

No crap man that kicks *** . Cuz that electronic one is ok, but i really love hard shifts, it makes your car feel so much more powerful. I will get a transgo kit next time i get her serviced. I was looking at a corvett servo too, maybe then i will really break em loose when it shifts

thanks for the help though
                      1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

I don't think its very good to slide a lot in the rain. I had that happen to me many times and almost died going like 60. so if i install Transgo i will be sliding in second?? I hope that is not always the case, but if it makes ur car feel more powerful i might get it. What websites offer this??

Comment

if i were to get the transgo shift kit would it be possible for me to "chirp" the tires when shifting to 2nd?????

this shift kit is sounding like a better idea every post i read.

Comment

once again, can anyone tell me where i could find these shift kits?? transgo or others???

Comment

www.tbyrne.com and www.thunderracing.com sells em, plus you can somtimes find them in the classifieds on ls1.com or here.
                              2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                              Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X