Is it my driveshaft or the transmission?!?! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it my driveshaft or the transmission?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it my driveshaft or the transmission?!?!

I was driving on the open highway today doing about 75-80. I then floored the gas pedal and my mid column (that whole area from where the cigarette lighter is to the back seat) shakes pretty badly and I was not accelerating. It felt like something wasn't "catching" like it should. I eased up off of the accelerator and I finally started to accelerate.

So I am wondering what that awful vibration was... maybe I gave it gas at the wrong time (while it was in between gears?) ... or maybe it was my driveshaft? ... or maybe my OEM torque converter? any ideas?

it felt like the idling of a diesel dump truck but had a LOT more presence since it was all with that middle area of my car...

I have a polyurethane tranny mount... is there a possibility that this caused anything? (I've had the mount on since July and I never experianced anything like THAT before)
    <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

could be a bent drive shaft or a broken tranny mount
    2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

Sounds like Torque converer shutter to me.
      -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

my car shakes really bad when i'm stopped at a light in drive and usually when i go in reverse. its fine when i'm in neutral and once i've started driving, any ideas?
        94 Firebird - Red A4<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/predatorbird\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/predatorbird</a>

Comment

If it were my torque converter then wouldn't it sorta kick in every time it shifts? I mean... this problem only happens when I take it to above 3000 RPMs and am going at least 80mph... so wouldn't that be a driveshaft related problem? (since the driveshaft would be spinning so fast)... ???

Comment

Liquid:If it is a vibration that happens at the same speed every time, that is U-joints.

Predator:It sounds like your engine is starved for fuel. Try getting the injectors cleaned, either with injector cleaner, or at a shop.
            -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blue Jay:
              Liquid:If it is a vibration that happens at the same speed every time, that is U-joints.
              <hr></blockquote>

Hmm... well the vibration only starts up when I give it throttle. Let's say you're cruising with little or no pressure on the gas pedal at 85 mph... and then you give it some moderate or full throttle... and instead of going, it makes that shaking noise and does not accelerate.

Dumb Question: Are the U joints in my transmission... or could they be screwed up if I put the car into park while rolling at 10-15mph to avoid an accident? Or do you think it's still a good possibility of the torque converter?

Comment

Liquid- What year is your car? On the 95 and older (at least not for sure?) there is a carrier bearing in the middle of the driveshaft.If this is bad I would think it would vibrate all the time but maybe it is just starting to go bad. Also the U joints are at both ends of the driveshaft. One at the end of the transmission and one back at the rearend. Also if it is the carrier bearing then you would be better to go to speedautomotive and get a one piece to avoid further problems.
                1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

My best guess would be the Torque Converter. If it was the U-joints it would vibrate from like 50-55 mph all the time.

I could be wrong though, it is awfully hard to diagnose a car over the internet you know.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X