Will my Camaro with 3.08 gears spin the tires? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my Camaro with 3.08 gears spin the tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my Camaro with 3.08 gears spin the tires?

I have had it since thirsday and havent got on it much, It has 11.000 miles on it and is a A4.
    Should this car be able to atleast churp a tire? the only thing it has done is when I was backing out of a friends steep driveway it churped the one but that was in REVERSE? Is it possible to churp the tires in Drive?
    I dont want to break it like I did to the last one.
    ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

Power brake it.
    2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

Power braking would only spin one tire, it is a open rear [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
      ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

Comment

floor it while going around a turn.
        \'96 <b>Quasar Blue</b> Firebird A4<br /><a href=\"http://jamiethekiller@comcast.net\" target=\"_blank\"><i>jamiethekiller@comcast.net</i></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.woodlandrock.com\" target=\"_blank\">my band: woodland</a>

Comment

I have a similar question. I have a 97 with the 3.08 gears and mine won't churp at all if i floor it in drive, if im going around a corner, it'll eat 'em up pretty good but other than that it won't do anything. My question is, if I get different gears will it spin off the line? like if I put 3.42 gears and posi?
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093533\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain Page</a>

Comment

i have a '99 w/ 3.08 gears and for the longest time i couldn't get my tires to chirp... then i tried brake torquing... and still nothing... then i found the key... in brake torquing, you can't hold the brake down all the way, you have to hold it down, and then let off it a bit until you find a friction point (much like a manual) where the amount that the brake is being depressed will finally be overcome by the engine, to which you will spin for as long as you like. (since you don't have posi, yes, only 1 tire will spin)... also, when i first got my car w/ 27K mi on it, it never spun upon start up alone... after about 5-7K of driving it hard, i think the PCM has compensated for my driving style and now i spin like crazy if i'm racing b/c i get nervous and hit the accelerator so hard. i think the car has gotten used to being driven hard and now spins too much off the line... i'm not sure if this is a fluke as my mods aren't enough to make that much of a difference or what, but thats just my 2 cents... hope this helps

Neil O.
            1999 Pontiac Firebird W68 Ram Air<br />3800 Series II V6 A4<p>Appearance: <br />Black, Ram Air Hood, Ground Effects, T-Tops, Silver Decals by Firebat, <br />Stock 16\" Chrome 5-Star Wheels, Chrome WS6 Dual Exhaust Tips<p>Performance:<br />Yank Super Thruster 3500 Torque Converter, 3.42 gears w/ OEM Zexel Torsen LSD, Jet Stage II chip, 180* Thermostat, B&M Transmission Cooler, Whisper Lid, K&N, Free Ram Air, 1/2\" Raised Airbox, Custom 2.5\" Catback Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler, Nitto 555R Drag Radials (back), Goodyear Eagle GSC 245/50ZR16 (front)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chrisz24:
              Power braking would only spin one tire, it is a open rear [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Going by your original post I thought that was what you wanted
              2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

Ive got 3.08's on my 96 and its easy for me to spin for at least several seconds. I never knew this was such a problem? I must have picked a good one out of the batch when i bought my car! [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

i've got a 97 a4 w/ 3.08, and most of the time i can spin a sec or two just by flooring it quickly. it depends on the surface your sitting on. at work where it's really slick, i've done a burnout w/ no brakes. but at some stop signs i can't even get a chirp.
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/briansr\" target=\"_blank\">97 White Pontiac Firebird 3.8 A4</a><br />Mods- 2.75\" exhaust, Dynomax muffler, magnaflow cat, SLP CAI, Hypertech 160* thermo, Fan switch<br />Suspension-Kumho Ecsta 712\'s, 32mm/19mm sway bars<br /><br />Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don\'t fail us now. <br />-Elwood Blues

Comment

i can spin my tires with 3.08's. not so much since i got new tires, but i'm taking care of that. with an open rear, i thought only one tires would spin anyway
                    you can\'t get off if you don\'t get on

Comment

Well, I was in a big open parking lot today and I tried it, I just floored it and it just went fast, it didnt even make a churp sound [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                      I dont think I am going to get into the power braking thing, I ruined a good set of tires on the Z24 doing burnouts maybe I am better off if it cant spin them :cool:

Comment

Maybe you've got traction control?

Comment

when i floor mine is peels out for like 2 seconds then i take off, i think my gears are 3.23 not sure though. I will try and check today.
                          2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 <br />M6, Magnaflow\'s 14336<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/v6purplebird\" target=\"_blank\">C6 Pics</a><br /><br />Old car:<br />1996 Firebird A4<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Magnaflow Catback Exhaust<br />Magnaflow Catalytic Converter<br /><br />George Mason University<br />CEIE Major<br />Pi Kappa Alpha<br /><br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nsolano\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird Pics </a>

Comment

Amazing how some will spend $100s not to spin and others wish they spun.

Line locks are only like $30, aren't they? That could solve all your guy's problems.

How was I able to roast thorugh a brand new yokoham in my 85 2.8L camaro, sure it was a smaller motor, but it was 135hp at the flywheel.

Comment

When I was at the track I had a serious problem of spinning through all of first and second by just flooring it. hmmm. I also don't have a posi, but you should still be able to spin them from a dead stop just flooring it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X