Torque converters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque converters

Anybody know of any good torque converters for the 4L60E trans. Also what is involved in the installation and approximately how much would it cost.
    1994 Camaro<br />3.4L V6 Automatic<br />K&N FIPK&Gold Oil Filter,Ravin Performance Exhaustw/Dynomax MandrelBent3\"I-Pipe&S Pipe&Catco 3\" HiFlow Cat.,ASP Crank and High AMP Alternator,U.D. Pulley Set, Bosch Spark Plugs and Oxygen Sensors, Taylor Wires, B&M E.ShiftPlus, 160 thermostat,Zexel Torsen L.S.D., CSI Remote Mount Electric Water Pump & Temp. Controller & Flex Hoses, ALM. Drivshaft, Diamond SubFram Conn.<br />COMING SOON: 350 or 502 RAMJET ENGINE & Big Block Hood<br />NJ V6 F-Body Club<br /><a href=\"http://tristategm.com/NJFbV6/\" target=\"_blank\">http://tristategm.com/NJFbV6/</a><br />Street Lethal F-Body Association <br /><a href=\"http://www.slfba.com./index.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.slfba.com./index.html</a>

go to converters.com. i think it is the vigilante for our cars. costly though.
    i am having one custom made fom a transmission shop for $298 and they are charging $195 to put it in.
    6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

Ok, I really want to get a new torque converter for my car, cuz im gonna have the trans go kit put in as well as the vette servo, so I want to get a new converter while im at it, so I want to get one as cheep as possible, and i want to know what stall speed i should get and with a highter stall speed, would that take away from my drivabilitly on the highway?
      1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

Nino,

You will see NO performance improvement from a $298 conveter from a local shop. I hope you have not already paid for this work.

Wolfy,

I would pick up between a 2800 and 3000 stall converter from Precission or Yank. Your MPG will drop but the car will still be streeable.

Remember you get what you pay for. Expect to pay about $700.00 fo a decent stall converter.

Bill Spano

BAD 2000 WS6 12.394@109.43, best 60ft 1.676 (spinning), 325 RWHP, 343.4 RWTQ
        http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=332

V6 Revenge 13.967@90.42 60ft 1.779
        http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=257

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Spano ]</p>

Comment

bill, i trust your word 100 %.
          maybe what i have done wont last long, but it has worked. i do believe you get what you pay for, but for some reason i still went with this transmission and gear shop. maybe it was impatience
          its been on for a few months and has not failed yet. it also shaved .5 off my ET. it also caused me to buy lower control arms, track bar, and now drag radials.
          its funny that i forgot about this post and when i read his wanting to buy one cheap, i was going to respond you never want to buy a cheap (there is no such thing) torque converter.
          6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

Might I ask - How badly does the mpg drop with a new converter? I thought since it has a higher efficiency and still locks up that fuel economy wouldn't change?!
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Thanks Bill Spano, I appresiate the help, I will start to save up for one of those, because I definitly want to do it right. And yes that is definitly true you do get what you pay for!!!
              1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

If I was getting one, I'd get a 3600 stall. Guys from MFBA drive with 4500 stall on the street and it's fine. Well, if you don't care about much about 1/4 gain, I'd get lower. You want it to stall just under peak torque and we all know V6 has no torque down low to begin with. Install isn't that hard to do yourself. Shop would charge $200-$250. There is this thing called a "lock up switch" one can get installed.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dom:
                  You want it to stall just under peak torque and we all know V6 has no torque down low to begin with. <hr></blockquote>

[img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
                  You are mad crazy. The v6 has over 200ftlbs @ 1,000RPM all the way to 4800RPM. Hence why it'll liquify the tires with only 200hp.
                  2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

So the torque peak is at 1000rpm according to you?

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</p>

Comment

Peak? no, peak is ~4800RPM. But I don't call it much of a peak.

The torque is between 200-225ftlbs from 1,000-5,000RPM... Thats like calling a pebble on a flat road a PEAK.
                      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

So it's almost all the same power then from 1,000 to 5,000. Would you say a 1,000 stall would be the best then? Why waste all that power under 3,000, right?

Comment

DOM A lock up switch allows the converter to lock up in any gear right?
                          <br />RIP<br />1995 Chevrolet Camaro<br />3.4L V6 A4<br />Flowmaster 40 Series<br />K&N FIPK<br />Throttle Body Coolant Bypass<br />180 Degree Thermostat<br />3.42 Ring Gear<br />Steel One Piece Driveshaft<br />IAT Relocation<br />and a website <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/jason_b298\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/jason_b298</a><br />New Ride 2000 S-10<br />4.3L V6 VIN W<br />auto <br />3.42 w/ LSD<br />more coming soon

Comment

i would go YANK all the way. i just bought a super thruster 3500 (which is supposed to perform as a 3200 in our 6s, as the owner of Yank told me, and he comes VERY highly recommended)... i'll let you all know how it comes out when i get it installed. w/ install and everything, it'll cost around $1000, but well worth it for a good converter. you might need nittos when you're done too... i know i will!
                            hope this helps.

neil O.
                            1999 Pontiac Firebird W68 Ram Air<br />3800 Series II V6 A4<p>Appearance: <br />Black, Ram Air Hood, Ground Effects, T-Tops, Silver Decals by Firebat, <br />Stock 16\" Chrome 5-Star Wheels, Chrome WS6 Dual Exhaust Tips<p>Performance:<br />Yank Super Thruster 3500 Torque Converter, 3.42 gears w/ OEM Zexel Torsen LSD, Jet Stage II chip, 180* Thermostat, B&M Transmission Cooler, Whisper Lid, K&N, Free Ram Air, 1/2\" Raised Airbox, Custom 2.5\" Catback Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler, Nitto 555R Drag Radials (back), Goodyear Eagle GSC 245/50ZR16 (front)

Comment

check the forsale section i have a converter forsale
                              97 CAMARO RS<br />12.9@103mph<br />best 60ft..1.9 ( on street tires)<br /> 1.7 (on gas)<br />turbo supra 12.5@119mph (street tires)<br />new times to come sporting the sp63gt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X