No announcement yet.

Auto Tranny (A4) Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think that if there is a shift afterwards, then that would have to be lock-up, right? I mean, if it was shifting into 4th when you put it in OD, then it would be going into 5th at 45 mph when you say it shifts. And there is no 5th gear.
    Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

heat generated by TC slippage either in direct drive (D or 3) or in overdirve (OD or 4th) is negligable.
      your main concern is twofold: 1: fuel economy at cruising speeds. if you're cruising over around 40mph or so with few stops, use OD for best fuel economy and lower emissions. 2: excessive shifting and slippage of OD clutch friction discs while driving below 40mph or so in city, where you have many stops. at speeds of 40 or below, or anytime you feel it shifting from 3rd to 4th excessively, you're creating undue heat. much more than the TCC creates when it is applied.
      cruising, use OD
      city driving or going slow, use D.
      ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

You silly ppl with auto's...

Operation instructions:
        To drive forward move the shifter to D(no matter what the speed)
        To drive backwards move the shifter to R
        To park move the shifter to P

Any questions? There will be a quiz at the end of the week!

[ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: Seppo Kaitainen ]</p>
        Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
        "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
        http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RacerJ:

It's not going to shift into overdrive if it's in 3rd/Drive...
          <hr></blockquote>

It won't shift into overdrive @ full throttle.
          2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Seppo Kaitainen:
            You silly ppl with auto's...

Operation instructions:
            To drive forward move the shifter to D(no matter what the speed)
            To drive backwards move the shifter to R
            To park move the shifter to P

Any questions? There will be a quiz at the end of the week!

[ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: Seppo Kaitainen ]
            <hr></blockquote>

lol!
            ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

HAHA Seppo! you get a doggy treat for the joke of the day!
              <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blue Flame V6:
                It won't shift into overdrive @ full throttle.<hr></blockquote>

It should. Mine does. :D Though not until it's at speed for it. You can also let up on the gas so it downshifts and then resume acceleration.
                -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

hrmmm 2 pages on how to drive with an automatic transmission. I just want to stress the fact that it's an automatic transmission and that it will *gasp* automatically shift for you.

at any rate, some moderator better move this into the advanced tech forum.

almost forgot. P means Passing . use it to shift from R while Racing somebody and you are about to blow by them. L is for Liftoff, for when you're going fast enough to take flight.

[ February 05, 2002: Message edited by: Mike Wenski ]</p>
                  \"If we can put a woman on the moon, why can\'t we do that with all of them?\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X