high stall torque converters ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high stall torque converters ?'s

What are the driving conditions like at cruising, and off the line (full throttle and not), and accelerating at high speeds? Is it worth it to get one.

The reason im asking is because my TC went bad and im thinking of getting one that has a stall speed of about 2800 rpm

I've driven a 3000 and a 3200 and under easy driving it wasn't that noticable. Off the line WOT you could definitely notice. Get a 3200 and you'll be happy. IMO it's not worth to go lower. You're paying so much for one might as well get a good stall. The ones that aren't very streetable are 4000+ stalls.

Comment

contact whatever company you're gonna buy from and give them the specs on your engine and mods, current and future, and they will get one for you that is matched to your engine combo.
      2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Patrick Javert:
        contact whatever company you're gonna buy from and give them the specs on your engine and mods, current and future, and they will get one for you that is matched to your engine combo.<hr></blockquote>

That makes no sense. Noone does that. Why would you even want that? Sure you can ask for their opinion. They're not driving the car, you are. You pick whatever stall you want for your needs and they try to get it in the ball park. You pick what converter you like and then give them your specs so they can make one that stall where you want it. This is why you give them your engine and mods. Not so they can pick a stall for you. Just so the stall you pick is the one you get. Why would you just blindly let them pick any stall they want? I've never heard of anyone doing this.

Comment

Dom, what stall ratio do you suggest with 3.42 gears and street tires. I've heard that 2.5 is good if you don't want to roast your tires, even 2.2. What do you suggest?
          <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AMinor65:
            Dom, what stall ratio do you suggest with 3.42 gears and street tires. I've heard that 2.5 is good if you don't want to roast your tires, even 2.2. What do you suggest?<hr></blockquote>

Umm, no. If you have 2.5 or 2.2 STR, then you will easily light up your tires. Good STR for not roasting them is around 1.7-2.0. If you really wanna roast em get a 3.0 STR. :eek:

Scott

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AMinor65:
              Dom, what stall ratio do you suggest with 3.42 gears and street tires. I've heard that 2.5 is good if you don't want to roast your tires, even 2.2. What do you suggest?<hr></blockquote>

You don't need to mess around with numbers themselves. There are proven converters out there. I'd suggest you look at them. One converter might be 2.5 vs another that's 2.5 and it will not be comparable. There are many more variables out there.

PI is a good converter. Just pick which stall you want and they'll make you one. Just keep in mind that they underrate their stalls by about 400RPM. So their 2800 will be more like a 3200.

Yank Super Thruster has worked great for V8s and the first V6 test is going to come soon. If it works out great then I'd add that to my list.

If you're going to be spraying a relatively big shot or if you plan on a supercharger then you should look at Yank Extreme 3400-3600. Those are meant for power adders.

One converter that you shouldn't bother with is the Super Yank. It's very soft off the line compared to others. Yanks street converters aren't that great either.

Every converter has been pretty much tested. I'd just stick to what works.

-PI
              -Yank SuperThruster, we will soon know
              -Yank Extreme, for power adders

Flash stall around 3000 is very streetable. You'll just need to push the gas pedal more.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X