extra costs to getting 3.42s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extra costs to getting 3.42s

ok Im prolly getting 3.42s for cheap from one of the members over in the for sale section.
    However, my concern is the PCM reprogramming, how much does that cost? and also what additional parts do I need besides just the gears themselves?
    thanks everyone

lsd
    crush sleeve
    pinion nut
    carrier and pinion bearings
    cover gasket
    pinion seal
    shims
    gear oil

pcm programming more than likely will not get done--most dealerships have the ability to do it, but won't because it requires using someone elses VIN (from y87, which they did not even make in your year)...so i think you're out on that one. you can get a jetscu or you can try the things from slp--but i can't guarantee they'll work for you--and all they do is fix the speedo, not the shift points.
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

I just bought the LSD and ring too...

Most shops should be able to provide the other neccessary parts on the list other than the LSD and ring, right?

Oh yeah, what do I have to do to fix the shift points? I mean, would it be bad if I change from open/3.08 to LSD/3.42 and not adjust anything?

[ July 31, 2002: Message edited by: Blizzard96 ]</p>

Comment

youll have to get the PCM reprogrammed, the speedo will read fast, about 10-12% fast, and youll shift way early into third second will come a little early too, but reprograming will fix this. my dealship does it for 78 dollars

Comment

What is the best way to ask a dealership? There are about 5-7 Chevrolet/Pontiac/GMC dealerships in my area...I'm sure I could find one. I know some service guys can be d!ks sometimes though...

Comment

Try a Jet SCU2000...It fixes your speedo and shift points to near stock specs....It'll also get rid of that 118mph speed limiter....they sale for about $150-$175 or you can usually find them in the for sale forum
            96 A4 Camaro<br />15.51 1/4

Comment

believe that jetscu is for the 3.8s only

Comment

i did the same change about a month ago. My speedo reads a lil high(bout 10%) reads 67 at 60. The shift points arent that bad really. apparently mines the acception to the rule. i only shift about 100 RPM early out of 1st and about 150-200 early outta 2nd. my trobles are a part throttle. the shift outta 1st is really weird. Im waitin to see if magnus will program my ECU later in the year. I think its gonna be worth the wait!

Matt
                -Matt<br />Manager/Tech Support<br />Precision Speed & High Performance<br /><br />visit us on the web at:<br /><a href=\"http://www.precisionspeedonline.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.precisionspeedonline.net</a>

Comment

ya, i have a 97 maro and i did the switch not long go at all and have no shifting differences that i can tell. so, i think i'm even more the exception to the rule that camaro97 is. oh well, i guess it depends on your car as to how it will react--i consider myself lucky for not having to hit the stupid rev-limiter like a lot of people do occasionally.
                  2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Aren't all 3.4ls stock with 3.23s?

either way i went form 3.23 to 3.42s. my speedo reads 5-7 mph faster, Good makes me go faster then I am going, I drive slower.

Comment

I contacted the shop thats doing the gear/LSD change...they themselves dont do the speedometer recalibration. They said they could put me in contact with the speedo shop.

If the shop can fix the speedo, they can fix the shift points too right?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X