Limited Slip Diff confusion need some help please - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limited Slip Diff confusion need some help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Slip Diff confusion need some help please

Hey everyone I am new to the forum ;D. How ever I cant stand driving a semi muscle car that doesnt have a limited slip diff. I have a 2000 red Firebird and I have no idea what gears it currently has. It has the auto trans if that makes a difference to what gears GM dropped in it. But I would really appreciate it if you guys can point me in the right direction as to which limited slip to buy. I was thinking about just getting the stock diff and the SLP install kit with 3.73 gears. Thanks alot and any help would be greatly appreciated.

if its y87 then it has 3.23 and LSD...if not then its 3.08 and open differential... if you switch gears your going to want to put in LSD when you do it since you have everything torn open then anyway. i was just assuming you have a auto... i think someone said oen time all the M5's had 3.23's in them but i might be remembering wrong
    1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

A4 Y87s came with 3.42, not 3.23. Only M5s have 3.23. ;)

Check the codes on your door to see what you have:
      GU4 - 3.08
      GU5 - 3.23
      GU6 - 3.42
      G80 - LSD

Best bet is to look on ebay for a used torsen diff. There's been a rash of posts about that same subject lately. Just search for LSD in the drivetrain forum and you'll get a ton of results.

http://www.camarov6.com/ubb/ultimate...;f=23;t=004363
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

wow thanks alot guys, pretty fast response to. One more thing that I want to ask but I dont want to make another topic lol. I want to get the hypertech 3.8 programmer for my bird what kind of top speed can I get when I remove the limiter?

Comment

HPP3 doesn't have too many fans here. It's pretty much worthless. Look into getting a mail order tune from Texas Speed. You'll be much happier with that.

With no speed limiter, you'll probably be looking at somewhere around 130-140.
          Matt
          1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
          Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

how come no fans for the hypertech?

Comment

I got a set of richmond 3.73's and an Eaton diffrental I'm looking to sell. I bought them used but never put them in, decided to go a diffrent direction with the car.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y217/a...t=100_0289.jpg
              95 Firebird<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/673250\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/673250</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y217/andrewbrandon19/\" target=\"_blank\">http://photobucket.com/albums/y217/andrewbrandon19/</a> <br /><br />me on a good day------&gt; <a href=\"http://communicatio.webblogg.se/images/wet_cat_113159625.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">linky</a>

Comment

alright, how about GM 3.73's,torsen limited slip, and SLP install kit. Do I need anything else? How much would it cost to have this installed on average?

Comment

sorry 98 camaro im' just not as smart as you lol
                  1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

can someone please answer my last question :/.

Comment

about 200 and up to install depending on the shop
                      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                      1994 Camaro - Sold
                      1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

I’m not being a smart a** or anything, but we get this same kind of question every week or so. Search = Your Friend ;)
                        2002 Z28 A4
                        SLP Lid | TSP Rumbler | P&P Throttle Body | No Cats | 3.42s | M/T Drag Radials | No Front Sway Bar

12.76 @ 108.42 w/ 1.90 60’

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
                          HPP3 doesn't have too many fans here. It's pretty much worthless. Look into getting a mail order tune from Texas Speed. You'll be much happier with that.
                          ^Do what he said

Comment

how man miles on the 3.73 gears?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              3 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X