I think my transmission is shot. Advice requested - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think my transmission is shot. Advice requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my transmission is shot. Advice requested

Lately, I've been afraid to even open up on my car.

There have been about a dozen occasions in the last few months were I've stomped the throttle in first gear from a roll or a stop, when I ease off on the gas the car starts stuttering and the rpms fluctuate up and down rapidly (sounds like im tapping the throttle and letting it off over and over again every half second or so).

I've narrowed it down to:

1) Transmission unable to upshift after I ease off the throttle

2) Engine. (Hope not. Doesn't do it any other time and otherwise runs smoothly. Always runs smoothly stomping it on the highway, which leads me to believe it's a low gear upshift problem)

3) Ignition (coils, plugs, wires). If so, why would it only do it under those conditions?

4) Torque converter?

5) Something I haven't thought of.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

EDIT:

Maybe this should be in drivetrain? But I wasn't sure if it was the transmission so I dropped it here.

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: Infernal ]</p>

6. Vacuum modulator (signals tranny when its okay to shift).

Actually, I don't even know if GM uses these anymore. Back in the '70's though, that would be the first thing to check given the description that you gave.
    ...it\'s lonely out in space...

Comment

A few months ago I had a few tranny problems. Just like you I floored it a lot from a roll or stop. I think what really did it was i had it in 2nd gear one night and i accidentally forgot and left it in there at WOT. After about 90mph I think it gave in and the whole car downshifted and burned a little. I know i know, laugh it up. It's about the stupidest thing I could've done. After that at WOT when I let off the rpms would drop where they normally drop, like 1800 at crusing speed then drop again down to like 900-1000 crusing. I also had the transmission jump a little bit. Overall it felt pretty weak. What I would recommend you doing like I did. Change the fluid and filter in it. If your not too sure how get a manual for your car and it'll tell you. I'd do that before considering any of the following problems. Inspect the filter for shavings. I had a few which is alright because it is normally just a little wear and tear here and there nothing major so don't be alarmed if you find any in yours. But if you have pretty big chunks or a lot. You have a grinding problem. What I would also suggest you doing and anyone else. Pick up a transmission cooler. Your beating your tranny down in this hot weather. I was afraid I would have to get a new tranny and $800+ for a rebuild or a newone I didn't want to do because I want to get a 350 soon and buying and rebuilding the tranny would be a waste because it couldn't bolt up to the 350. The tranny cooler is going to keep it really cool and extend the life. You can try to put that on there and see if you can stick it out a little bit with that. Mine was only $40. Install isn't that hard. It sucks mounting it on the front of the radiator and threw the condenser but it's not that hard, just a PITA. I'd keep a look out for a rail cooler. It's smaller and won't block too much airflow coming to your radiator. Anyway man hope my tips help you a little. And good luck.

Ted

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: Ted ]</p>

Comment

I let this post stay since you were not sure what the problem is. After reading the last two posts above I think it should be move into the Drivetrain section. Again, its fine that you posted here I just think you will get the help you need in the other forum. Good luck with problem and I hope its an easy fix ;) .

Moving now... [img]graemlins/toto.gif[/img]

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: bu-bye ]

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: bu-bye ]</p>
        White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X