Is it 15% or 15mph??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it 15% or 15mph??

Hey guys, really stupid question. Going from 3.08 gears to 3.73 gears, is the speedo off by 15% or 15mph??

It is approx. 15%

I think it jumps in close to 5% each time going from 3.08 to 3.23 to 3.42 to 3.73!

Comment

Well in that case hell with fixing the speedometer. I'd rather spend money on something more useful [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Its going to be 15% max, which means it isn't off by 15% throughout your whole range of normal driving speed. The speedo is going to be off by more the faster you go. For example, I made the switch to 3.42s and my pcm isn't reprogrammed. When my speedo says 30mph I am going around ~27-28mph~ However, when my speedo says 80mph I am actually going 70mph. At 90, its 80, etc.

[ February 20, 2003: Message edited by: Camarorulz ]</p>
        -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

I would say fix it anyway.

Even though your speedo is off, guess what else is off?

Your odometer.
          --<b>David</b>--<br /><a href=\"http://bryant2.bryant.edu/~dsantore/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">The <b>NEW</b> V6Bird Website!</a> <br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/thev6bird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain site</a><br />ΔX

Comment

and your shift points (by a bit) but at 100 its off 15% and 15 mph....but if you dont correct it, your limiter will be at like 97 mph- NO FUN
            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited<br /><br /><br />MODS:<br />180* t-stat, K&N FIPK, mopar ECU,<br />mike leach long tube headers+3\" y-pipe, 3\" all the way out flowmaster 50 series, mopar magnum 2bbl m1 intake manifold, APS 52mm throttle body, powerslots, 2 JL 10w3\'s

Comment

you sure about that 15% thing cuz i'm pretty damn sure i have 3.73's and mine is off by exactly 25%. or maybe i have 4.10's or something
              you can\'t get off if you don\'t get on

Comment

Ok so I guess I'll ask this question again since some of you say it's worth to fix the speedo. How can I fix the speedometer? I have a '99 camaro so Hypertech reprogrammers won't work. The Jet SCU2000 thing is only useful for 3.42 gears and the SLP calibrator flat out doesn't work because of cruise control.

How do I fix the speedo??

Comment

DHP does pcm programing, and to my knowledge they do all years for the 3.8 so theres your answer.

Comment

What's 'DHP?'

Comment

Is there a website for them?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by camaro_zach:
                      DHP does pcm programing, and to my knowledge they do all years for the 3.8 so theres your answer.<hr></blockquote>

Comment

You could get a 1999 Y87 VIN and have your PCM reflashed with it. That is what I did with my 1998.

I just took it up to a dealership and had them do it. They charged me $35. I think it is the best way to go.
                        Whisper Lid/K&N Intake, NOS 5175 Kit w/ Polished Bottle, Moser 3.42\'s w/ Auburn LSD, SLP Ram Air H.O. Hood, Pacesetter Ceramic Coat Headers-3\" in/out hi-flo cat, 3\" I-pipe, Edelbrock Muffler, Boyd Coddington Smoothie Two\'s

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dstrbd1:
                          you sure about that 15% thing cuz i'm pretty damn sure i have 3.73's and mine is off by exactly 25%. or maybe i have 4.10's or something <hr></blockquote>

You're correct. It's off by around 21%. Factor in more if you're running a smaller tire than stock.
                          <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Alright this is bull****. I just spoke to a GM dealer and told them that I have new gears and all that. They said that they MIGHT be able to reprogram the pcm to work with 3.42 gears (like in the y87 package) but since GM doesn't make v6's with 3.73 ratio gears even as an option, they have no way to reprogram it.

Any ideas? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Do you or anyone else around this board have a '99 Y87 package VIN number I could give the dealer?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by IronMan:
                              You could get a 1999 Y87 VIN and have your PCM reflashed with it. That is what I did with my 1998.

I just took it up to a dealership and had them do it. They charged me $35. I think it is the best way to go.
                              <hr></blockquote>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X