T56 for a T5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T56 for a T5

Does anyone know if the T56 will mate up with our 3800 II? For future plans, I was thinking that the T56 with a numerically higher gear ratio in the rear end could keep the RPM down as far as higher speeds were concerned. That is instead of just re-gearing the rear end. This would of course be running on some serious forced induction. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro L36 M5<br />1982 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE project car - FOR SALE<br /><br />\"I find the most sensual part of the woman is the boobies.\" - Zap Brannigan

the t-56 is what comes on 4th gen camaros, so yea, itll bolt right up
    1992 Camaro RS<br />Performance: K/N filter and custom CAI<br />Stereo/Electronics: 10\" Kicker Subwoofers, DEHP-4400 Pioneer Head Unit<br />Maintenance: New brake lines, New transmission mount<br />Upcoming: Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, Catco Catalytic Converter

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by unvc92camarors:
      the t-56 is what comes on 4th gen camaros, so yea, itll bolt right up<hr></blockquote>

Just because it bolts to the LS1 doesn't mean it will bolt to the L36.

There has been one person on the board that says the he has sucessfully bolted a T-56 to a 3.8L, while most of the board believes it's not possible.
      ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

Do you know who?

Also...is my logic as far as the gear ratio correct? Still learning.

I would like to set the car up for SCCA Touring racing. Any suggesstions as far as trans. gear selections as well as rear gear. I don't care if it's SCCA legal, that's just the way i'd like to drive it.
        1998 Chevrolet Camaro L36 M5<br />1982 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE project car - FOR SALE<br /><br />\"I find the most sensual part of the woman is the boobies.\" - Zap Brannigan

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrbako:
          Do you know who?

Also...is my logic as far as the gear ratio correct? Still learning.

I would like to set the car up for SCCA Touring racing. Any suggesstions as far as trans. gear selections as well as rear gear. I don't care if it's SCCA legal, that's just the way i'd like to drive it.
          <hr></blockquote>

Blue Flame V6 said he successfully bolted an LT1 T-56 to his 3.8L at a dealership. Search.

I don't believe I'm qualified enough to talk about gears, but I'm sure someone will come along and answer that question.
          ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

Thanks for the help...i did some searching...prob should have done that first...too many plans...too little money...DAMN!

Comment

Its not a simple bolt up application. It requires some fabrication and special trans-adapter plates. It can be done. And it costs about 3,000.00

If you plan to use 6th gear on the street you are going to have to alter your gear ratio's if you lack the engine torque. I wouldn't go with less than 4.11's

You will be taking a step down in gearing when you swap to a T-56. The gearing is less of a performance set than what our T-5's have.

First through third gears: T-5 vs. T-56
              3.75 vs. 2.66
              2.19 vs. 1.78
              1.41 vs. 1.30

The gearing change without correction of the final drive ratio would account for a LOSS in engine power multiplied to the wheels by 82 horsepower in first gear.

or
              200(HP) * 3.75(1st) * 3.23(gears) would equal the same power to the ground as:
              222(HP) * 2.66(1st) * 4.11(gears)

So if you added 4.11's and 22 more horsepower you'd only be as fast as stock. But your gas mileage would be a little better when you cruise the highway. You'd cruise 70 MPH about 400 RPM than you do now. From 2250 RPM to about 1875 RPM.

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Bliggida ]</p>
              <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

Blig is absolutely right.

Besides the nice 6th gear, if I needed a beefier trans I think I'd go with a TKO-3550 :D
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

How the hell do you program the PCM for that?
                  AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bliggida:

You'd cruise 70 MPH about 400 RPM than you do now. From 2250 RPM to about 1875 RPM.

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Bliggida ]
                    <hr></blockquote>

I cruise at 2450 at 70mph!! Oh yeah I have 3.73's .. :D
                    Jeff ..
                    1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                    2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                    1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                    http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Bligga...the plan is to not drive it on the street. and as for 3000, that seems rediculous. there's actually very little custom fab... the splines are both 26's. i kinda just needed to know if it was a direct bolt on...it seems that the 1993-1997 LT1 T56 will bolt on. they actually have the same bolt pattern. the only upgrades will be the clutch to hydraulic, and finding some gears for racing. as far as hp & the rear gear is concerned; i hopefully will be around 30+ lbs of boost(so no hp probs), and gearing around a 3.42 up to 4.11. i want excellent excelleration, but don't want my top end to be limited by a rear gear ratio. this is where i need some expert advice.

the plan is to build up the bottom of the motor to be able to handle a single T66 turbo with a front mount intercoller running 30 lbs of boost. this is not a street car, so i don't care about gas mileage. the 6th gear is to go faster.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by xjarayax:
                        How the hell do you program the PCM for that?<hr></blockquote>

the pcm has very little to do with the manual transmission. it wouldn't know the difference.

[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: mrbako ]</p>

Comment

so if you had an A4 and swapped to a T56 would you have to get an M5 pcm? or no?

just hypothetically...i'd nevr do it because it'd be too much work, but just curious.

[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: xjarayax ]</p>
                          AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

I should have asked it like this- how do you reprogram the speedometer/odometer to account for the t56?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrbako:
                              Bligga...the plan is to not drive it on the street. and as for 3000, that seems rediculous. there's actually very little custom fab... the splines are both 26's. i kinda just needed to know if it was a direct bolt on...it seems that the 1993-1997 LT1 T56 will bolt on. they actually have the same bolt pattern. the only upgrades will be the clutch to hydraulic, and finding some gears for racing. as far as hp & the rear gear is concerned; i hopefully will be around 30+ lbs of boost(so no hp probs), and gearing around a 3.42 up to 4.11. i want excellent excelleration, but don't want my top end to be limited by a rear gear ratio. this is where i need some expert advice.

the plan is to build up the bottom of the motor to be able to handle a single T66 turbo with a front mount intercoller running 30 lbs of boost. this is not a street car, so i don't care about gas mileage. the 6th gear is to go faster.
                              <hr></blockquote>

If you are about going faster, the T56 is the wrong transmission in the first place. You need to be thinking about something like a race transmission such as a G-force T-5. Not a T56. The only thing a T56 was designed for was highway cruising gas mileage. They don't call it a double overdrive for nothing. In fact, if you are not concerned with street driving, you shouldn't be wasting your time considering anything but a race transmission - with NO overdrive.

Something along the lines of a Richmond road racing 4 speed would better suit you.

But either tranny, what I said was correct. In order to purchase a new T56, have it adapted, because absolutely no V8 transmission will fit on any 93-up V6 period, end-of-story. Not as a "bolt on" as you'd like to.

You are free to shun my advice. I have researched more into running a T56 on a V6 probably twice that of anyone else that is serious about doing so. I know exactly what needs to be done, and where to get the parts needed to do it. I've priced it out many times. And if you plan on running that much boost with that turbocharger, you are not going to want to cheap out and get a used and stock T56 to install behind it.

Again, if you plan on racing. No race car has an overdrive gear, much less two of them. You don't need or want a T56 for racing. They are only for highway mileage.

Even with a turbo six, the amount of time and road it would take you to reach any impressive speeds in 6th gear would be hard to come by, and I'm considering I live in Texas!!!

Racing is all about low low, super low racing gears. The T56 is exactly opposite of that. You'd be better off with a worked over T-5 wih the gearing you have now. As Dom, suggested and Tremec TKO-3550 would be an excellent choice for a racing transmission. They also weigh less than the T56's, which is another important fact in racing. A TKO-3550 would also cost about half of what a T56 would.
                              <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X