Clutch chatter.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch chatter.........

Argh.....so I just put this T5 in my car about 45 days ago. It was running fine until about 5 days ago. Now I can't launch the car in 1st gear on a flat or inclined street without the clutch chattering/grabbing EVERY FRICKIN TIME. And I've tried EVERY launching method so I think something is wrong with my clutch. Anybody have experience with LUK clutches??? Good or bad??? Also, all the clutch components are new except the flywheel which was resurfaced. What do you guys think???
    Dan<br />1990 RS 170,000 miles<br />3.4L collecting dust<br />700R4-to-T5 swap completed on Dec. 13, 2002

I had a 76 T/A 455ci with an M4, and the chatter was caused by a worn out Pilot Bushing and a cracked sleeve that holds the transmission shaft. The Pilot Bushing was totally shot! The shaft sleeve was broken off and not holding the trans shaft steady. Too many times of dropping the clutch at 5k rpm's (hee hee).
    The two parts ran about $70.00 at my local auto store.

-Marc
    sigpic

Comment

Mine chatters a little bit too, not too bad, but a little. But I also have a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. But that damn clutch grabs like a muthatrucka! [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
      Black 99 M5 Camaro \"6BANGER\"<p>Sport Appearance Package, Whisper Lid, SLP Cold Air Kit, K&N Filter,Dynomax Custom Cat-Back, BMR STB, Jet Stage II Module, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Hurst Shifter with Custom Short Stick, RKSport 2\" Drop Springs, SS Hood, Poly Tranny Mount & TA Bushing, SLP 3.42 Gears with LSD, All Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants

Comment

Same thing with my centerforce. I have mostly learned to live with it, and can work it so it doesent chatter much at all anymore. Proly the worst is parking, especialy in reverse. The clutch wants to get ripped on all the time....I oblige as much as possible. If it worked fine before and now is chattering you probably have a problem. Not sure about the previuos solution, sounds cheap and at the least a good place to start looking, id have it checked out. From what I remember LUK is one of the more expensive OEM replacement clutches, so I dotn think it a POS, buit then again if its a new trnny to you, you never knwo what was done to it. Good luck.

Cp

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          3 days ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X